How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2002, 12:51 AM

Default Prism vs 888

Hi all
Recently i A/B tested an 888 and a Prism ADA-8.The difference is so big that i am wondering if the Digi's interface at 192 KHz
sound better than the Prism working at 48KHz
with my MIX Plus!!!
I have a question also.....
Is it normal when you are in rec mode and listening to input of PT to have better sound quality than the sound reproduced after the recording???

Thanx in advance
Kostas
Engineer/Producer
Old 02-27-2002, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Prism vs 888

Quote:

Is it normal when you are in rec mode and listening to input of PT to have better sound quality than the sound reproduced after the recording???

No, I dont think this is normal.

Just last week I sent the whole mix from my console to the dat, and from the dat to Pro tools (the dat was on standby record mode)

What came back from Protools (the recoded audio) was a much more inferior sound to the mix I had on the console. This was the first time I tried this method, I usually send through the sub groups, or take the master from the console but on this occassion I had to go through the dat.

I was puzzled initially, but then realised that it was the dat machine, or the way Pro tools reacted to taking the digital signal from the DAT.

Usually I hear no difference at all. Ok if i really, really listened I propably would.

Do you have one of those clocking devices??

It might have something to do with that.

But if you are hearing an obvious difference then something somehwre is wrong.

There are far more knowledgeable people on this forum that could help you in this

Good luck
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2002, 09:30 AM

Chris. When you sent it to the dat before sending it to pro tools, you were using the crappy AD convertors of your DAT machine rather than the better convertors of your 888. That's likely the reason for the worse sound.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>i am wondering if the Digi's interface at 192 KHz
sound better than the Prism working at 48KHz<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't say for sure as I haven't yet heard the 192 but I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference in the audio quality. However, for the price of a Dream ADA-8 you could buy two 192s (32 channels of I/O) and still have over $1000 in change!

Greg
Old 02-28-2002, 06:48 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by speedyk5:
...i am wondering if the Digi's interface at 192 KHz
sound better than the Prism working at 48KHz
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are so many issues that make up a good converter. The filters are only one small part of it, but the only part of the converter that would be potentially improved by going to higher sample frequencies.

If you don't like a converter much at 44.1k or 48k (and it really doesn't matter what the converter is) then the odds are that you're not going to care for it much at 192kS/s. It is likely that what you don't care for in the converter is much more than just the filters: analog section, power supply, dither added, integral linearity of the chip, differential linearity of the chip, clock, etc.

I hope this helps.

Nika.