Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2019, 07:09 AM

Default Old Sessions

So awhile ago, PT dropped the ability to import much earlier PT session files (PT 4, 5....) and to use SDII files.

Does anyone know what the last version of PT that was able to open early session files as well SDII files, or at least the ability to convert them to AIFF/WAV files....
Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Old Sessions

V10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Here is a good plugin that I use with good success to convert files as well in addition to using an older PT session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_IxwHjYsM

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-08-2019, 09:54 AM

Yes—I keep an old laptop handy with this exact configuration, I believe the last versions to support SDII-based sessions:

Pro Tools 10.3.5
MacOS 10.8.3

Let me know and I can send you a link to these installers, but they should be able to be found online.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:04 AM

And while we are on the topic of converting old sessions, does anyone know a way to make SD2 files that aren't recognized as such (for whatever reason), to be able to be? I have a bunch of archives I'm migrating which are all PT 5.x/PT 6.x sessions that I've backed up on DVD-Rs. For some reason, a handful of the files in the Audio Files folder from some of these sessions just don't want to be recognized, and cannot be force-relinked. It's not as thought the resource forks were blown out on only a handful of these files; they are sitting in a folder with dozens of perfectly working SD2s. Is there something about the naming? Maybe there is a utility to compare a working one and a broken one to figure out how to adjust metadata? No dice using BarbaBatch or any other utility I own.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Here is a good plugin that I use with good success to convert files as well in addition to using an older PT session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_IxwHjYsM

G
Helpful, thanks. I think this app will re-assign the resource map. Yay!

Last edited by Picture Start; 04-08-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picture Start View Post
Pro Tools 10.3.5
MacOS 10.8.3

THANKS. I can download the right version of PT from Avid, and I'm pretty sure I've got the OS install as well... but will let you know if I need that.

J
Old 04-08-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picture Start View Post
Helpful, thanks. I think this app will re-assign the resource map. Yay!
Yes.. It does help a lot to use this app. Had some older Macs here for such cases as well, but sold them. Did not really need to convert anymore of my work as I did that from some old old tape drive backups abbot a year ago when I had some down time. What a bunch of work though. Fun to go back an look at older work from the 90's.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-08-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Yes.. It does help a lot to use this app. Had some older Macs here for such cases as well, but sold them. Did not really need to convert anymore of my work as I did that from some old old tape drive backups abbot a year ago when I had some down time. What a bunch of work though. Fun to go back an look at older work from the 90's.

G
True. Seeing that old 2" reel hub icon is a trip down memory lane. The app worked great for about 3/4 of what I needed it to. There was another 25% that it wouldn't recognize either. I guess some files are too far gone. Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:22 PM

So I was able to open old sessions with this combination:

Pro Tools 10.3.5
MacOS 10.8.3

But it does convert the SDII files to WAV (or perhaps AIFF) files... Does anyone know what the last version of PT was that could open SDII files natively? I'm thinking probably some version of PT 9, but don't remember. Would kind of be nice if an earlier version of PT10 would, since I still have a license for that, but earlier licenses were all surrendered in upgrades....