Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 PM

Default MBox2 Pro - No Output at all

Hi everyone,

I have a really big problem. I just bought a new MBox2 Pro last week and I couldnt get any sound out of it. I installed a new version of Windows XP on my notebook and installed ProTools 8 on it. With the demo song or a new blank session where I just created a Instrument Track with Boom on it I can`t get any sound to my headphones or my mixer. I already tried to install XP a second time, but it didnt help.
My notebook is a Dell Inpsiron 1720 with 4GB of Ram. I connect to the MBox via a 4pin to 6pin Firewire cable and also use the power converter that comes with the MBox. My OS is MS Windows XP Professional with SP2. On my first installation i also had SP3 installed.

I am really confused because I cant make the MBox to produce any sound at all, also with other programs or just windows sounds. My headphones are completely quiet. I am really frustrated.

Freakazoid
Old 06-15-2009, 11:02 PM

Default Re: MBox2 Pro - No Output at all

Do you know how to select your in's and out's on the buttons above the fader in the mix window? Make sure these select the appropriate settings. you'll probably want analog 1 and 2 out. (it may get deeper than this but it's a start.)
Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 PM

Yes I know how to do this. I tried all Output Configurations. From Analog Out 1/2 to SPDIF-Out. But nothing worked. And Analog Out 1/2 should always be on the Headphone-Out 1, or not?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 PM

I actually had the same problem this weekend after buying a new laptop. I use a PCI Express firewire card, which has two 6-pin ports. I just changed from one of the ports to the other, and it worked. Don't know if this helps you at all, or if you have two ports available. I hope things work out for you, man.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 PM

I just have one firewire port on my notebook. And this is only a small 4 pin port. You think this might be the problem?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I just have one firewire port on my notebook. And this is only a small 4 pin port. You think this might be the problem?
I seem to have read somewhere that you need a firewire 400 port, and that firewire 800 ports won't work. I may be way off, though. I am just getting these things to work by blind luck, it seems.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:21 AM

How can I find out if I have an Firewire 400 or 800 port?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I have a really big problem. I just bought a new MBox2 Pro last week and I couldnt get any sound out of it. I installed a new version of Windows XP on my notebook and installed ProTools 8 on it. With the demo song or a new blank session where I just created a Instrument Track with Boom on it I can`t get any sound to my headphones or my mixer. I already tried to install XP a second time, but it didnt help.
My notebook is a Dell Inpsiron 1720 with 4GB of Ram. I connect to the MBox via a 4pin to 6pin Firewire cable and also use the power converter that comes with the MBox. My OS is MS Windows XP Professional with SP2. On my first installation i also had SP3 installed.

I am really confused because I cant make the MBox to produce any sound at all, also with other programs or just windows sounds. My headphones are completely quiet. I am really frustrated.

Freakazoid
When I bought my MBox2Pro I couldn't get sound out of it either. Then I changed the firewire card to a Texas Instruments card and it worked. Not saying it's your solution, but firewire cards do seem to play a big part in getting PT to run smoothly - either way check the Digi website for compatability before parting with your hard earned.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:08 AM

Okay guys. The good news is I finally have some Output on my Headphones. It was my own stupid mistake. Just had to reinstall some drivers.
The bad news is: Now I have another problem. The sound coming out of the Outputs is really distorted and sound kind of metallic. Does anyone know a solution for that?

EDIT: Just tried to play a audio file with the media player through the MBox, same result as through Pro Tools. Metallic and distorted sound.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Okay guys. The good news is I finally have some Output on my Headphones. It was my own stupid mistake. Just had to reinstall some drivers.
The bad news is: Now I have another problem. The sound coming out of the Outputs is really distorted and sound kind of metallic. Does anyone know a solution for that?

EDIT: Just tried to play a audio file with the media player through the MBox, same result as through Pro Tools. Metallic and distorted sound.
I had that distorted sound thing for a while shortly after installing too, but it's not there anymore. Seems like it disappeared after tweaking a bit. Not very helpful, I know. You have your wireless card deactivated, right? I got a ton of different errors and weird behaviour while it was activated.