Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Default What's the fastest way to remove empty playlists?

The only thing I can do is individually right-click and select "delete" for each playlist track. I'm hoping that there is a more efficient way.

I also tried, "Delete Unused," but this also deletes the "non-empty" playlists, so it doesn't work that well for me.

Last edited by SigFriedChicken; 03-05-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: trying to fix image size
Old 03-05-2017, 04:46 PM

Default Re: What's the fastest way to remove empty playlists?

Sorry. I tried uploading a smaller version of the image, but it's still huge.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:17 PM
tundra

if you are only using one playlist, make it your main one, duplicate the track
and tell it to use main playlist only.

then hide and de-activate the old track.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:42 PM

But I would like the preserve the set of "good" alternate takes. I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that duplicating and only using the main playlist would not include these.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
But I would like the preserve the set of "good" alternate takes. I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that duplicating and only using the main playlist would not include these.
may i sincerely ask, have you never looked in the manual ???

page 633 .. after searching for "delete unused playlists" ..

Deleting a Playlist
You can delete a playlist from a session entirely. However, since playlists require minimal disk space, you do not need to delete them to conserve storage.
To delete one or more playlists from a track:

1 Click the track’s Playlist selector and choose
Delete Unused.

2 Select the unassigned playlists you want to delete. Shift-click (Windows or Mac), Control- click (Windows), or Command-click (Mac) to select multiple playlists.

3 Click OK to delete the selected playlists. This operation cannot be undone.
You can also delete playlists in Playlists view. Right-click the Playlist Name on a lane or in the Track List and choose Delete.
When deleting a track from a session, you have the option of deleting or keeping its playlists, so they can be used on other tracks.

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-05-2017, 08:24 PM

Prior to 12.6, you could switch the track view from playlist view to waveform view and then back to playlist view and all unpopulated playlist lanes would be removed and only from that one track. Alternate playlist lanes would be kept if there were any clips on them but empty/unpopulated lanes would be deleted.

In recent versions of PT12, this has not been working the way it used to. I have created a support ticket about this but have not heard back.

SigFriedChicken, consider starting a support ticket also. If enough people complain, it may get addressed. This feature used to be there, all Avid has to do is restore it back to how it was pre 12.6!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
Prior to 12.6, you could switch the track view from playlist view to waveform view and then back to playlist view and all unpopulated playlist lanes would be removed and only from that one track. Alternate playlist lanes would be kept if there were any clips on them but empty/unpopulated lanes would be deleted.

In recent versions of PT12, this has not been working the way it used to. I have created a support ticket about this but have not heard back.

SigFriedChicken, consider starting a support ticket also. If enough people complain, it may get addressed. This feature used to be there, all Avid has to do is restore it back to how it was pre 12.6!
ideascale !!!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-06-2017, 07:17 AM

I kind of found the "invisible if empty" playlists thing a bit annoying on occasion, as you couldn't move stuff onto pre-existing (but empty) playlists in playlist view as they simply weren't showing. But it's not a biggie either way for me so happy to vote up if general consensus is to go back to prior behaviour.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
may i sincerely ask, have you never looked in the manual ???

page 633 .. after searching for "delete unused playlists" ..

Deleting a Playlist
You can delete a playlist from a session entirely. However, since playlists require minimal disk space, you do not need to delete them to conserve storage.
To delete one or more playlists from a track:

1 Click the track’s Playlist selector and choose
Delete Unused.

2 Select the unassigned playlists you want to delete. Shift-click (Windows or Mac), Control- click (Windows), or Command-click (Mac) to select multiple playlists.

3 Click OK to delete the selected playlists. This operation cannot be undone.
You can also delete playlists in Playlists view. Right-click the Playlist Name on a lane or in the Track List and choose Delete.
When deleting a track from a session, you have the option of deleting or keeping its playlists, so they can be used on other tracks.

I am aware of this option, as my original post indicates. The problem is that you can't remove the playlists until you switch to waveform view, which hides the playlists from you, making it very difficult to know which ones to remove.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:24 PM

I do recall, in 12.5.x, that toggling to waveform, and back, would remove the empty playlists. I guess that explains why this issue never occurred to me before now.