Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2016, 09:03 PM

Default Has an iLok just ever stopped working on its own?

I keep saying I dont need ZDT because I havent touched my iLok in a year. It sits protected in the dongle away from everything.

But I just got thinking.. Have they been known to ever just wear out or stop working without any damage? Or any scenario where I'd need ZDT.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Has an iLok just ever stopped working on its own?

Well, 2 things come to mind here:
1-almost anything electronic COULD fail at any time and for no apparent reason(my Waves USB stick died for no reason I ever could figure)
2-how much would your life be messed up if you could not use any of your iLok-licenced software for 2-3 weeks(the time it might take to mail a dead iLok to PACE and get a replacement mailed back)
For me, ZDT is a "no-brainer" as I make a living in my studio(so down-time is a disaster). For a hobbyist, maybe its not a big deal. Last thought; if you write off the cost of your music/recording gear, buy ZDT and write that off too

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-02-2016, 04:41 AM

I have had the iLok stop working with PT; as a matter of fact it happened just last week. I went to dismiss the tracks list in the mixer in PT11.3.1 while I had the transport running playing a session. I immediately got a number of 'wire exception' errors and when I looked at my iLok the blue light had gone out. I started thinking like I'm gonna need to use my ZDT insurance. turns out all I had to do was to unplug and reseat the iLok. Phew - close one. I still will keep up my ZDT insurance (it's cheap at $30 US) because I have a boatload of licenses on it I can't afford to lose use of.

And yes - I keep a spare iLok.

QAPLA!
Old 06-02-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

And yes - I keep a spare iLok.
Oh yeah, me too

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-02-2016, 06:42 AM

Great advise on all points. I have an extra ilok and I just started with ZDT because after 6 years I believe I am at the end of the probability curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2016, 03:31 PM

I had an Ilok that started flashing. I searched the internet, came up with put the ilok in the freezer, put it back in the usb port. It worked. I got complacent, Whenever it did the flashing thing, I would freeze it. One day, I froze it, put it in, the light came up, still no recognition. I did everything. I checked into ZDT, turns out you can't just buy it when the ilok fails. Great idea for generating income, Make something that will fail (what was going on with my ilok is a known issue) and then instead of gauranteeing it charge "insurance" to cover it quickly. Otherwise it takes a made up 2 to 3 weeks. It's like the mafia. You pay the insurance otherwise some guys will come around and bust your windows. BS, they should cover everyone with ZDT, if you have another ilok, just cover it. Anyway, I lucked out, I got the ilok to mount one more time and then got the authorizations over to the new one. And now? Guess what? The old ilok works. But I never truse it.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:25 PM

i just watched the ZDT video and I only have one question.

If theft and loss coverage comes with it free and no extra charge why would we have to go into the ilok manager and turn it on/refresh it? It seems like something that would never make sense to not have enabled if its no extra cost..whats the catch is what im asking?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
i just watched the ZDT video and I only have one question.

If theft and loss coverage comes with it free and no extra charge why would we have to go into the ilok manager and turn it on/refresh it? It seems like something that would never make sense to not have enabled if its no extra cost..whats the catch is what im asking?
Because you are accepting certain terms/enabling Pace to do certain things with your iLok if you enable this.

Specifically to require your iLok to be seen every 90 days or the licenses on it auto-expire. You should read the fine print/think how this stuff works.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I have had the iLok stop working with PT
+1 ...and I have heard from several users having had this experience as well over the years.

Quote:
I still will keep up my ZDT insurance (it's cheap at $30 US) because I have a boatload of licenses on it I can't afford to lose use of.
+1 ...too much money on this little fragile thing to leave it uncovered finally.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMusic View Post
I had an Ilok that started flashing. I searched the internet, came up with put the ilok in the freezer, put it back in the usb port. It worked. I got complacent, Whenever it did the flashing thing, I would freeze it. One day, I froze it, put it in, the light came up, still no recognition. I did everything. I checked into ZDT, turns out you can't just buy it when the ilok fails. Great idea for generating income, Make something that will fail (what was going on with my ilok is a known issue) and then instead of gauranteeing it charge "insurance" to cover it quickly. Otherwise it takes a made up 2 to 3 weeks. It's like the mafia. You pay the insurance otherwise some guys will come around and bust your windows. BS, they should cover everyone with ZDT, if you have another ilok, just cover it. Anyway, I lucked out, I got the ilok to mount one more time and then got the authorizations over to the new one. And now? Guess what? The old ilok works. But I never truse it.
You buy a house and then after many years of living in it it goes up in flame. Do you blame the constructor for something that can happen? Do you blame the insurance companies? Pace could simply decide to offer a "we will only send you a new Ilok key with the license on it, once we receive the dead one" They are in no obligation what so ever to offer a temporary replacement service. That's a convenience to their customer, but that service means that they have to have people on hand ready to expedite the procedures, and as you probably know, any company that offers expedited services always charges for it, same with transport company (which you also have the option to pay for insurance for what you will have transported by them, just in case their employee decide to kick the box out of the van into the distribution center.. seen it happen), or even installation services that offer you a the same day or next day installation.. provided you pay the price for that expedited service.

So what are you complaining about exactly, that they offer you a way to have your license right away if your ilok fails (which like anything in life will eventually happen)?

Wave-T.com