Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2011, 08:06 AM

Default Fitting Macbook Pro into my Mac Pro Set-UP

I am reluctant to upgrade my 2008 Core Duo Mac Pro Desktop that currently is running Pro Tools 7.4, OSX Tiger, with a Digi 002r into a 01v96 with two VisionDaw Slaves. One taking midi from a USB Motu Midi Express and the other Connected via MidiOverLan.

I bought a brand new Macbook Pro (Thunderbolt Version) and would now like to be able to use Pro Tools 9 and Logic that I have installed on it.

So, I need a soundcard, as well as a few hard drives. Most of my work involves scoring for film/TV/Animaton.

Thunderbolt devices are not yet available, so what would people recommend for drives? and Soundcard?

SO.... I am looking at all of these connections and wondering if a Macbook Pro could fit into my set-up. I really have taken a liking to Logic 9, and also Pro Tools 9 so want to be able to use both.But neither will run on my old Mac Pro Desktop.

Might just have to upgrade the Mac Pro Desktop, but if I could manage with the Macbook Pro, it would be sweet!

Many Thanks

Paul
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Fitting Macbook Pro into my Mac Pro Set-UP

What's the issue? Are you just looking for suggestions on an interface and a hard-drive?

How many channels do you need? Will you be recording or just doing post work?

There are plenty of USB and FireWire interfaces available. I have had good success with Pro Tools 9 and MOTU interfaces. MOTU is known to work well with Logic.

The drive is easy; I am not sure what is available locally for you, but find a FireWire drive with an Oxford chipset and a 7,200rpm drive with a fast access speed.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The question is both connectivity and power.

I use a lot of VI's, especially Spectrasonics, which I have not had a chance to really test, but my initial trial found the MacBook Pro not handling more than a few voices of Omisphere and about 6 voices of Xpand2, plus a movie. The session was on an FW 800 drive.

My old Mac Pro has four internal SATA hard drives, and I use them all to distribute recording, movie playback and sound libraries.

Can I get that distribution of power/resources from a MacBook Pro with only USB and 1 FW 800 port?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaifox View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The question is both connectivity and power.

My old Mac Pro has four internal SATA hard drives, and I use them all to distribute recording, movie playback and sound libraries.

Can I get that distribution of power/resources from a MacBook Pro with only USB and 1 FW 800 port?
Well, you could use the Thunderbolt solution available from Promise. Not quite as wide as your current bandwidth, but likely still overkill for what most people are doing.

For processing power, your current MacBook Pro easily out-benchmarks the 2008 Mac Pro. However, the other issue is going to be noise generated by fans in the MacBook Pro, especially with movie playback.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz76 View Post
the other issue is going to be noise generated by fans in the MacBook Pro, especially with movie playback.
I have done two jobs so far with the Macbook Pro and surprisingly it has been whisper quiet. It even has a 7200 RPM HD, which I have heard tends to be more problematic.

But true, loud fans is a deal breaker for me, so let's hope the problem does not arise!

Paul
Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Well, you could use the Thunderbolt solution available from Promise. Not quite as wide as your current bandwidth, but likely still overkill for what most people are doing.
The Promise Pegasus storage is RAID and therefore not recommended for Pro Tools--but it all depends on if you can configure these boxes as JBOD (just a bunch of disks), something that would be good to know. Even as JBOD you may still have problems. I would want to know others have used this OK with Pro Tools. Sonnet is also coming out with their Fusion Thunderbolt RAID boxes and they make a point that the boxes can be configured as JBOD. But again I would not want to know lots of other users are using this OK before buying one.

Given the potential future importance of Thunderbolt to Mac Pro Tools users it would be great to see Avid qualify / or not some of these Thunderbolt drives or RAID boxes (only when used as JBOD).

The is also a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter built into the latest Mac displays and an adapter coming from Sonnet and likely others. You might just be a little too early to see a Thunderbolt based I/O solution that fits your needs well. You can also buy conventional recommended FireWire drives and use those today on the FW800 port and in future you will have more flexibility/expansion and can use that drive connected via Thunderbolt.

Darryl
Old 08-08-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
What's the issue? Are you just looking for suggestions on an interface and a hard-drive?

How many channels do you need? Will you be recording or just doing post work?

There are plenty of USB and FireWire interfaces available. I have had good success with Pro Tools 9 and MOTU interfaces. MOTU is known to work well with Logic.

The drive is easy; I am not sure what is available locally for you, but find a FireWire drive with an Oxford chipset and a 7,200rpm drive with a fast access speed.
MOTU working well here too, shed loads of I/O for such small boxes.