Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Re: off topic - bluegrass band mic uses

Wheres got it
I swear each time I seea really good bluegrass band on TV they know how to use a mic. They're usually gathered up around a nice condesoer, (AT all the way) and they step up sloce to the mic for solos. I would find a good place to record them, set up your AT for an omni pattern and with som hwad phones on, I'd have the band play. Move them around the room to sweeten the mix/levels of the different isntruments. I'd also tell the band how important it is to get a good recording they will will really have to really listen to each other, keep performance really tight. If the banjo player is going nuts, either move him back a little form the mic, or tell him he needs to keep banjo at about the same volume as the other instruments. I think close micing a bluegrass band would probably be a bad idea. Overdudbs for vocals and solos, that makes sense. But I'll think you'll get a good recording foundation from 1 mic, and a great performance by the band. A really nice mic pre, will be a good thing to have on the mic too.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 10-28-2003, 03:18 PM

Well, thanks so much for all the replies. I appreciate the responses, and have some good options to try.

I considered a mono mic approach, but would like to get some stereo vibe going, hence the thought of a mid-side approach. If the band wants a traditional, mono old time vibe, I can certainly track 'em with a single mic and see how it goes.

I have seen both Steve Earle, and Del McCoury live (separate bands, not together). The single mic approach worked OK for Steve's band, but Del's band had serious balance problems on stage. It could have been a monitor issue or because they played outdoors, but either an instrument was dominant, or non-existant. As I recall, Steve's bass player had a mic on the bass, and there may have been a small condenser mic for the soloists. Overall, it was a very warm and NATURAL sound. Steve's gig was indoors, and the (basically) single mic seemed to work pretty well.

Any tips on mid-side mic approaches? I haven't worked with it, yet, and curious to see how it compares with an X-Y pattern pair of mics.

thanks again,
Dave
Old 10-29-2003, 09:36 AM

On the the upright bass I recommend trying the most 'neutral' sounding LDC mic you have first. Depending on the bass, string type, room & player a hyped top end style LDC may sound too harsh. Mic positioning is critical. The f-holes can sound great or horrendous. I usually start mic positioning on the treble side, between the f-hole and bridge, facing upward (slightly) and about 12-18 inches away from the body. But this is assuming I'm tracking the guy/gal in isolation. In a live band situation, I prefer using a pick up if the bassist uses/has one or maybe micing his/her amp if they use one. Personally I feel the dynamic mics like the D112 sound terrible (woofy and zero definition) on an upright unless it's used on an amp. Strings are a fun challenge to record well. Best of luck to you!