Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM

Default Re: HEAT (Harmonically enhanced Algorithm Technology)

Not to beat a dead horse here, but as in most cases, everyone is pretty much right.

Dism- thank you for your continued optimism and support of Avid. You are the user that keeps Avid working so hard, because you seem to truly appreciate it. Good to have that spirit around here.

Kenny- Hey Groove brother. You of course are also dead on. If Avid would hand pick some users like you and put us in a focus group to direct the evolution of Tools, I think they would find they get the ultimate product that smashes all other daws. You are absolutely correct when you say that there are options in other DAWs that pro tools needs to "sample" immediately. It is borderline silly.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 08-31-2010, 01:17 PM

Avid's problem isn't their dropping support for old systems. I cheer their doing so! Their problem very simply is they have neither updated their technology nor dropped their prices.

In a typical technology product, HD cards price history would have them selling for about $250 these days. Which is about what they're worth. If you could get a pcie HD3 for $1000 and add the software for another $1000 it would be fair and no one would complain about dropping legacy support.

Their R&D failures are sad but as long as they can source parts they really should have become aggressive on price. Saving up demand for an upgrade that never shows up explains why they are trading only a few cents over book right now.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
And that's fine. That's what I keep saying. If it works for you, there's nothing wrong with that. It's this expectation that there should be new releases for it, or that G5 owners have somehow been wronged.

Use what works. That's it.
Well that's not what you are saying. You say G5s are "useless" and "done".

You see, this is very easy: No heat for G5 no heat for me. But as always, there are alternatives. There's no one and only in this business...

My point is, my G5 is as powerful as the day I bought it and it's as productive as the fastest ultra mac on earth. You know why is that? Because there's no real improvements in their development. What's the revolutionary step from a G5 to an intel? 450 plugins instead of 200? It still take hours to back up hard drives for example, the will still crash (more than a ppc) they will still give you the same headaches as the old ones. And USB2? it's way older than my G5 and it's still on the new macs, and I could go on and on....

Apple reminds me a bit of digital camera manufacturers, no real improvements, give them more megapixels and they will go wauuhh!
Apple is exactly the same, just give the more cores so the can run our ultra hungry bad engineered iapps.

Give me real improvement please, something the will make my life easier. Give me something I can't live without and we'll talk.

I understand what you say but after the years I just got too bored with all these "developments"
Old 08-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Axelsson View Post
Well that's not what you are saying. You say G5s are "useless" and "done".

You see, this is very easy: No heat for G5 no heat for me. But as always, there are alternatives. There's no one and only in this business...

My point is, my G5 is as powerful as the day I bought it and it's as productive as the fastest ultra mac on earth. You know why is that? Because there's no real improvements in their development. What's the revolutionary step from a G5 to an intel? 450 plugins instead of 200? It still take hours to back up hard drives for example, the will still crash (more then a ppc) they will still give you the same headaches as the old ones. And USB2? it's way older than my G5 and it's still on the new macs, and I could go on and on....

Apple reminds me a bit of digital camera manufacturers, no real improvements, give them more megapixels and they will go wauuhh!
Apple is exactly the same, just give the more cores so the can run our ultra hungry bad engineered iapps.

Give me real improvement please, something the will make my life easier. Give me something I can't live without and we'll talk.
They are done.

They are also useless for new software. This includes MANY plugins, DAWs, video suites, etc.

As I continue to say... if it works for you, keep using it. But there will not be any improvements to that particular system. If the latest updates are not worth upgrading to you... why worry whether or not they are supported for PPC? They aren't, and never will be.

Until new cards come out, or software options that you feel make it worth the upgrade... I'm sure there are plenty of others who will stick with their G5s until that happens. Otherwise... people can complain and moan, but until they actually experience the difference between a G5 and ANY Intel based Mac, they will linger in the past. It's not just about plugin count. Trust me, I used a G5 before I bought my Macbook. If my laptop out-performs a tower... there is a fundamental understanding that the hardware is better. Regardless of how fast you think your G5 is.

Use what you like. No one is stopping you.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
They are done.

Until new cards come out, or software options that you feel make it worth the upgrade... I'm sure there are plenty of others who will stick with their G5s until that happens. Otherwise... people can complain and moan, but until they actually experience the difference between a G5 and ANY Intel based Mac, they will linger in the past. It's not just about plugin count. Trust me, I used a G5 before I bought my Macbook. If my laptop out-performs a tower... there is a fundamental understanding that the hardware is better. Regardless of how fast you think your G5 is.

Use what you like. No one is stopping you.
Look at my signature. Believe me I know the differences between them.
Still, I do all the serious work on the G5 (including video).
Old 09-05-2010, 02:23 AM

I think that most of the confusion and anger is due to the fact that people cannot appreciate this simple fact: the last generation G5 (the pci-express ones) are *PERFECT* bridge generation machines. They accept the most current cards, they run PT up to 8.0.4 and that's it. They run PT 7.4 rock solid no matter if you wanted to use Tiger or Leopard and that is their intended use -- *BUT* if you want to, you can install PT 8.0 and explore the new interface.

PT8 is just that, a bridge version. The old stuff (PT 7.2 or 7.4 whatever you think) runs perfectly on the G5 hosts, but you also can take a peek of what is coming next. Not many of the "angry" customers are appreciating this fact as they should.

Now if you have a G5, new cards, really want to stay in business and appreciate what Digi/Avid have been doing lately, you can take your time to make the choice of *WHEN* you buy that new Mac Pro and jump into the Snow Leopard bandwagon. It's not that your old G5 suddenly stops working after the 8.1 release, it's just that if you want "feature X" you need to buy it.

My point: the writing is on the wall now, loud and clear. If you want to keep using your G5, you can do so as long as it works. But if you want to use the latest, now is the perfect time (if you already have pci-express cards) to buy that Mac Pro.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 AM

So HEAT is free with new systems. What about pci->pcie hardware exchange? Do you get HEAT when you register your exchanged system?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:24 AM

I have been trying HEAT over the last few days.
The secret is to use it on low settings - can get distorted with high settings.
I have found it is also best to Bypass it on Lead Vocal.
Loving what it does to a mix though - just seems to sound better with it on.

Mac Studio M1 Max
32 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.1
24 core Metal 3 GPU
Avid MTRX Studio
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12
HDX card
AVID TB3 1 slot PCie Chassis
Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSD-Studio View Post
I thought that's what I said

believe me, I'd love to, it's not exactly pocketoney to upgrade a Mac and a full blown HD3 system at the same time though, especially since I just bought my PCIx HD system last year (stupid, I know)
Um, no not stupid! Considering that a new pci-e costs so much to do the exact same thing!
I had the G5 already and $4k in tdm plugs so I just bought a pci core
and a 96i.
I'm sure heat is very cool but great music was made on pci before heat or pci-e came out!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
This is the problem...

There is no scam.

If it works... keep using it. But here's the thing... the only people still using G5s are using extra hardware that keeps it that way. That being the HD cards. Otherwise, G5s are archaic and useless.

G5s are done. That's all there is to it. There's no reason for Apple, Avid or any other company to continue supporting them.
Therein lies the problem. Avid is different from most other companies. They made the hardware that has caused us G5ers to become left behind. They are a hardware company. The software is free. Remember?

HD is expensive. And we invested in it. So Avid, more than any other "software" company, should support their "hardware" buyers a bit further than their software competitors.

The only reason I and many others are still using a Mac G5 is because of Avid. Doesn't that count for something?

Quote:

It's this expectation that there should be new releases for it, or that G5 owners have somehow been wronged.
I don't think we've been "wronged" but I do think it's a mistake on Avid's part. If a Native system with a new Mac Pro 12 Core exceeds my G5 HD3 system, we have a lot to think about. Avid can make that decision harder by giving us the option of getting a better system if we upgrade.