Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2012, 01:33 PM

Angry Setup a drum machine (Boss DR-880) in Pro Tools : Please help !

Hi everyone,

I'm new on this forum, first I'd like to kindly greet each one of you and thank all the persons who will help solve my issue !
I'm stuck in front of my screen for 2 days now and can't find the solution !!!

I read all the forums, watched all the videos on youtube (even the not related ones...joking ^^) and...nothiiiiiiing

I'd like to set up a drum machine (Boss Dr-880) in pro tools, spent all my strenght and patience in it...but nothing good came to me !
I coudnt' make it work properly...

Could someone explain me every single step to make a smile appear on my face and make it work as it should ? I would be so graaaaaaaateful...please help !!!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Setup a drum machine (Boss DR-880) in Pro Tools : Please help !

Sorry, I forgot to add...To set it up as a "Midi device" in Pro Tools !
Old 03-04-2012, 06:32 AM

what do you want to do with the 880?
I have a 660 and use it to replace the limited sounds of the pt clik:
here's what I do:
first connect the midi in and out to your interface and the audio out from the drum machine to an input in pt.

in set up go to midi then midi studio set up: clik on instrument create.
name your instrument and use the pull downs to set up for your 880, it is in the menus.

pt is now set up to see your machine. I replace the metronome with mine by cliking on the metronome in the transport bar and set the output to the drum machine, this will send the midi data from the metronome to the drum machine, now you need to get the audio back out, I just use a TS cable into my 002R first input and control the level from there. I also add an aux track with the input set to my 002R first and the audio returns there, as ling as i have the metronome lit, I get to use whatever sound I have told the drum machine to use.

you can also create an instrument track, set the instrument input to your drum machine and the audio input to where you sent the audio output of your drum machine and play the pads or write the midi in with your pencil tool in the edit window to send a midi signal to the drum machine.

hope this helps
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 AM

Hi Paulreed, thank you for your answer !

I'd like to read the midi scores I've got on Pro Tools through my Dr-880.
I followed all the steps you explained to me but the DR-880 remain silent I can't get any sound from it ...grrr !!!
In the midi track I created, I set the input to All and the output to Boss Dr-880 (btw, when I had to create the instrument in midi studio set up, the Dr-880 was not in the menu, the newest one was the 770 (weird when you think this drum machine has been relaeased several years ago...I'm wondering if it could be incompatible...do you think so ? Probably not...midi is midi but...we never know !)
(What did you choose in "input port" and "output port", those from the midi interface I guess (fast track c600 for me) ? Emulated or not emulated ?)
I also set the metronome as you told me, output set on Boss Dr-880 (was on "none" before).

In the midi track I created I can see it "working" as the "vu-metre" with green/yellow/red leds is moving when I click on play but I can't hear any sound !!
Then in the Aux track, input set to "input1&2" of my fast track c600 where the midi of my dr-800 is hooked-up to, and output set to "Output 1&2" of my fast track c600.

Final : No sound wtf do you think I did wrong ^^ ?

Thank you so much Paulreed for helping me so far, can't understand why it's still not working !!! Any idea ???
Old 03-04-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Setting up a drum machine (Boss DR-880) in Pro Tools : Please help !

Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 AM

i had same problem similar setup....first of all did you install driver for the dr-880?if not go to boss website/downloads/boss dr880 driver and download.reboot computer and make sure driver shows up in device manager,if on windows system,as i am.all the factory settings for midi edit on the 880 are all good,midi drum ch. drum-10,midi ch. bass-7,rx midi vol-off,sync mode auto,device id-17.open pro tools,create midi track,now the 880 should be in your i/o dropdown menu.choose pre defined/boss 880/channel 10(same as midi drum channel on the 880.record enable midi track and you should have sound......hope this helps,i knoe i struggled for hours getting to this point and still learning that if i turn 880 off while pro tools is still running the 880 wont work,so i have to log out of p.t. power on the 880 than start pro tools up again....pain in the@$$,but seems to work so far
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Exclamation Re: Setup a drum machine (Boss DR-880) in Pro Tools : Please help !

forgot to add dr880 must be plugged into computer through usb port.....key!!!