Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Default SC48/LE firewire rookie questions

Is there a way to monitor tracks from the laptop being used to run ProTools, instead of the console, in an SC48/LE set-up with an external HDD and a Mac Book Pro?

Can the Fwx be used as an input from a mixer that has firewire outputs? Will channels 1 and 2 work like it does with iTunes? If so, how will that affect the ProTools? Will it simply drop to 16 available tracks?

At FOH we frequently have a producer doing track playbacks from multiple laptops during corporate shows via a sub-mix. At our last show It has become obvious that the old Mackie mixer just isn't cutting it anymore. We were thinking something along the lines of the Mackie Onyx. Of course if anyone has a better solution where we can remain 100% digital that would rock!

The IOx Card would really fit the bill but if I am reading things right it will not work on the SC48?

Loving the SC48's! All the old analog gear (which cost 10 times as much) is now collecting dust!

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Default Re: SC48/LE firewire rookie questions

One more question while I am at it. Can anyone recommend a good way to extend the cable length of the firewire to around 25'?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan K View Post
Is there a way to monitor tracks from the laptop being used to run ProTools, instead of the console, in an SC48/LE set-up with an external HDD and a Mac Book Pro?
No, there isn't a direct way to monitor the tracks at the laptop instead of the console.

Quote:
Can the Fwx be used as an input from a mixer that has firewire outputs? Will channels 1 and 2 work like it does with iTunes? If so, how will that affect the ProTools? Will it simply drop to 16 available tracks?
FWx will only communicate with a computer that has Pro Tools LE installed. The Core Audio drivers (installed by LE) will work for sending audio from iTunes to the SC48. You can use other apps that support Core Audio as well, just remember the drivers are not multi-client so you can't run Pro Tools at the same time.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan K View Post
One more question while I am at it. Can anyone recommend a good way to extend the cable length of the firewire to around 25'?

We have a 50ft. firewire cable, so I'd imagine they make 25ft. as well... Not sure where we got it though... Certainly they're readily available...
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stygar View Post
We have a 50ft. firewire cable, so I'd imagine they make 25ft. as well... Not sure where we got it though... Certainly they're readily available...
Does that have an inline repeater of some kind? Everything I have read says the limit is 14'. We have tried a longer cable and it did not work. Reading some posts about the 001 I have a few products to try. Before I do it I was just wondering if anyone had experience with a repeater and an SC48/LE set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Z
FWx will only communicate with a computer that has Pro Tools LE installed. The Core Audio drivers (installed by LE) will work for sending audio from iTunes to the SC48. You can use other apps that support Core Audio as well, just remember the drivers are not multi-client so you can't run Pro Tools at the same time.
Thanks Mike. It seems what I am really looking for is more AES inputs.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Z View Post
No, there isn't a direct way to monitor the tracks at the laptop instead of the console.

This is not exactly true. I use the firewire port on the SC48 to record to Logic and also for Spectrafoo at the same time. No issues.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Raboin View Post
This is not exactly true. I use the firewire port on the SC48 to record to Logic and also for Spectrafoo at the same time. No issues.
could you please talk more in detail what and how you do it?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:59 AM

I use firewire channels 1 and 2 to send a mono mix and the measurement mic to Spectrafoo, and use 17 and 18 to send the L/R mix to Logic. Logic sometimes defaults to 44.1 and I need to change it to 48, but there are no tricks or odd settings, as far as I can tell.