Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2003, 08:54 AM

Default Waves\' S1 on Master fader question: Huge volume drop?

My usual Master fader setup for "budget mastering" more than half the time includes the Waves' S1 (often following the C4 and preceding the L1 limiter.

After careful setting of all levels, for some reason I'm not aware of,, the overall volume drops drastically when the S1 is inserted. I'm then sent scrambling trying to make up the gain.

Should this be expected? Any hints to help this?

Please share your experiences!

Thanks, "OL 88'
Old 01-06-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Waves\' S1 on Master fader question: Huge volume drop?

Sounds like you've got some phasing cancelation problems. Check to see if the sum of the left and right chanels yeld a good balanced mix. If not or if something goes missing in the mix, you're going to have to go through the chanels one by one and reverse the phase one at a time and then in combinations to see were the problem child is.

This is a normal routine and very important. Eventually you'll start to hear and correct as you build your mix

Remember the S1 uses phaseing algorithms to increase the stereo image so use it lightly.

Good luck, and if that doesn't work....?

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 01-06-2003, 10:54 AM

I rarely use the S1 but in my experience stereo enhancment plugs have this effect if used more than subtly. The "punch", dynamics, and center focus suffer.

Why dont you use more dramatic panning in mixing, perhaps panned delays and broad reverbs. Maybe use the S1 on reverbs and individual tracks.

I always try to wiev the mix as the final product, and I never have plugins on the master when mixing. Some like to have it, I know.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:33 AM

Well, I'll tell ya....I can't push the point enough to my clients as to the benifits of pro mastering at a respectable dedicated facility...only about 1 of every 10 goes that route, so, in an effort to not have the work sound (to my sensitive ears anyway) "unpolished or incomplete, I'm forced to at least do a light "budget mastering".

I'll try the phase thing, but what you're saying is my problem should not be happening? Inserting the S1 doesn't compromise the overall level, therfore requiring adjustment?

Hmmm...Anyone else goin' down this road?

Thanks for the replies, "OL 88'
Old 01-07-2003, 09:43 AM

Not sure, but I think there was a bug in 3.2 (S1 rtas) what caused level loss . S1 in version 3.5 Waveshell is working ok. Personally I'm using MAS (DP) version 3.5 and there's no level loss. But anyway, I had that probelm with 3.2 rtas...
Old 01-07-2003, 04:58 PM

Do you select from the S1 Presets for your settings? I do not think you would have phasing issues if you just go to the "Load" button for your initial selection.

You will always need to balance the levels, but I would leave the input alone, and control the level with the Multiband.

I would Not use any other S1 Plugs, except the S1 Shuffler, and I would Only play with the Shuffling control and leave hands off of everything else...(just my "safe" way of getting a clearer sound) and Nice imaging.

You should only select the S1 Shuffler, and forget about the others. I have found that I rarely use the same settings on the S1 Shuffling control, and the Preset for Slight Shuffling has a 1.6 to 2.5 to experiment with. Each song gets its own personality.

I have (rarely) used the Enhanced Imaging with a 2.5 shuffling and a .5 trim on lush ballads.

I usually leave the input alone and control the Level with the MultiBand...

On the Master fader, I Always use the Linear MB, then the S1, then the L2 with my dual mono 24 bit bounce/Mastering session, and

I never let the attenuation on the L2 go past 5, and I find that I get great levels with plenty of dynamics...

The 5 band LinearMultiBand is AWESOME! Have you ever heard of Adaptive behavior for controling the masking of the higher frequencies from the Lower freqs?? Major breakthrough for all of us that cannot afford $5000 to master our CD's.

OK, you can get it done for $1000, but the Mastering Guys do not give it the attention that you would be happy with, unless you $$$..so why Not put the $1-5000 into the SUPERIOR Waves Platimum??? huh??
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 01-07-2003, 10:34 PM

I had some good results with stereo miking and doubling guitars. then bussing the close miked left and right to the s1. had a cool effect and didn't move my bass and kick from the center.

just a thought.

I't still all about the songs

002R, AMD2500+

Gear List:
http://www.davidkarns.com/studio.html