Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2015, 09:46 AM

Default PT12 iMac5K - MASSIVE PROBLEMS

I hate being put in this position - but having to purchase a new machine recently, and moving from PT11 to 12 - now I have nothing but horror. Can't record more than about :15 and can't playback but about that much before I get the AAE-6101 error with 1024 buffer on brand new iMac5K i7 and 24 Gigs RAM, no plugging and mono VO. When I was at NAB I was told by AVID "Sorry, the iMac5K is not qualified"? I'm like..WHAT? PT is qualified for 10.10.2, which I have and he said....sorry, man! I had this same error once a day or more with PT11, but updated to PT12 yesterday and now I'm sunk!!!!! I could scream. Work is piling up and deadlines are tightening. Tried to go back to PT11, but that didn't work.

Mac Studio M1 Max, Focusrite Clarett2Pre, Sennheiser 416, sometimes Beta Tester for iZotope
Old 04-21-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Re: PT12 iMac5K - MASSIVE PROBLEMS

I'm on a 5k and have no problems.

Be sure to kill the notification center, spotlight and anything else that is apparently draining your CPU.

Try unplugging everything and run a session in the box using iMac speakers and see what happens.

If the problem persists, you might have to bite the bullet and do a complete clean reinstall.

Also, I think I read somewhere that everything from PT11 should be removed first before installing 12. Check the threads on that.

I'm on HDX, but have no errors on the 5k.

Hope this helps.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:52 AM

Hi Ron, thanks for the reply. Well, the guys at AVID last week said it's the hardware, but today was outta control - like I said I was unable to record for more than 5 seconds. PT11 automatically is removed when you go to PT12 from what I read and I couldn't find it on my machine. I did a re-install and re-installed the driver for my 003R as well and I'm at least being able to run a bit now. The thing that burns my to no end is that I should not have to Turn Off everything and it's brother just to run ProTools - other DAW's don't go through that mess. The temperamental, high maintenance of a program that is PT, simply should not be in this day and age.

Thanks again for your reply.

Mac Studio M1 Max, Focusrite Clarett2Pre, Sennheiser 416, sometimes Beta Tester for iZotope
Old 04-21-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Charlotte View Post
The thing that burns my to no end is that I should not have to Turn Off everything and it's brother just to run ProTools - other DAW's don't go through that mess. The temperamental, high maintenance of a program that is PT, simply should not be in this day and age.
That has always been the way Protools worked. There is a long list of optimizations that are required to make Protools work. That is true for both OSX and Windows. Don't compare Protools to other DAWs. They are not the same and have never been the same in terms of hardware requirements, OS requirements, and system optimizations. Protools is unique and requires specific tweaks regardless of how fast and powerful your computer is.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM

How exactly did you install stuff on this iMac? It is important you do not try to clone an existing Mac drive or use the systems migration assasin to move over apps, plugins or drivers.

What you should have done....

Unbox iMac
Do not run software updater
Apply any required combo OS X updates
Create account with admin privileges and other basic setup.
Install Pro Tools 12
Install interface drivers
Fully optimize the Mac (every last thing done).
Check Pro Tools works -- if OK make a backup
Install any third party plugins - using the latest compatible installers.
Check Pro tools works after each major plugin install
If all done and OK Make a backup.
Migrate over any user file needed (do no use the systems migration assassin to move any apps or drivers over to the new Mac).
Install any other apps
Test it all works if OK -- If OK make a backup.

Pro Tools is relatively fragile and high-maintenance, you should already know that. If you want something easier to set up/manage then Logic Pro X is a great choice, but don't just complain about it, switch...
Old 04-21-2015, 02:22 PM

Is it a Fusion drive? Those are known to be problematic for PT

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-21-2015, 02:59 PM

Sit down,
Relax,
Have a beer....
Do exactly what Darryl said.

Last month I sat with a guy who did not do the optimizations correctly on a new iMac and ran into a similar situation.
It should be a pretty screaming machine.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:55 AM

I did all of that "wrong"...

I moved to new iMac i7, i used the set up assistant to migrate everything.

I installed the Pro Tools 12 over my existing (migrated) 9.

Then, because the old machine was on OS10.7,
I then installed whatever updates to plug ins were necessary for Yosemite. I installed the Yosemite compatible driver, and...

everything works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
How exactly did you install stuff on this iMac? It is important you do not try to clone an existing Mac drive or use the systems migration assasin to move over apps, plugins or drivers.

What you should have done....

Unbox iMac
Do not run software updater
Apply any required combo OS X updates
Create account with admin privileges and other basic setup.
Install Pro Tools 12
Install interface drivers
Fully optimize the Mac (every last thing done).
Check Pro Tools works -- if OK make a backup
Install any third party plugins - using the latest compatible installers.
Check Pro tools works after each major plugin install
If all done and OK Make a backup.
Migrate over any user file needed (do no use the systems migration assassin to move any apps or drivers over to the new Mac).
Install any other apps
Test it all works if OK -- If OK make a backup.

Pro Tools is relatively fragile and high-maintenance, you should already know that. If you want something easier to set up/manage then Logic Pro X is a great choice, but don't just complain about it, switch...
Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 AM

For me, I did plenty of research and having been on PT for almost 15 years, I was aware of some proper procedures. My process was this:

Backup old MacPro
New iMac5k i7, SSD Internal drive, writing audio to SSD via Thunderbolt, 24Gigs Memory 003R
NO Application Migration
Plugin Updates
Fresh Install of PT12
Optimized System
Fresh Driver Install
Backup iMac5k

System has been stable today - after yesterdays uninstall/reinstall of PT12 and driver.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
I did all of that "wrong"...

I moved to new iMac i7, i used the set up assistant to migrate everything.

I installed the Pro Tools 12 over my existing (migrated) 9.

Then, because the old machine was on OS10.7,
I then installed whatever updates to plug ins were necessary for Yosemite. I installed the Yosemite compatible driver, and...

everything works.
That never works for me at all using setup assistant, especially with Protools. Never do that. It's a waste of time as you might be experiencing. I would just spend some time and migrate what you can manually over. It takes time, but way better results. I did that with my new Mac Pro Trash can and have never had a problem ever! Runs great! Good luck and sorry for your trouble.. I know it can be a messy and stressful thing to go thru. Darryl is correct on his advice I feel. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS