Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2002, 08:14 AM

Default If The 002 Has No Inserts, Then How Will I????

Use the Plugins, or do you guys mean, no inserts on the mixer???? Just wanted to know before I get mine. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 08:55 AM

Default Re: If The 002 Has No Inserts, Then How Will I????

There are no inserts on the mixer.
San Diego, Ca.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:30 AM

no INSERTS on the mixer?

so i have to other choice but to use the 002 pre amps?

my plan to buy a seperate pre amp, and someone on this board told me that i would have to plug it in an insert

but there isnt any

HELP?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sagecleva:
no INSERTS on the mixer?

so i have to other choice but to use the 002 pre amps?

my plan to buy a seperate pre amp, and someone on this board told me that i would have to plug it in an insert
HELP?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">On analog mixing desks, the channel insert is used to divert the post preamp audio to an external location, often times with the intent of returning it to the same channel. For example, an outboard compressor can be inserted into the channel, and the "raw" audio (no eq, etc.) is sent out to be squashed, and returned to the mixer via the same channel.

In PT, your compressor is digital, so you don't need to physically send the audio out in order to be processed by the compressor. However, if you want to use an outboard compressor, you can set up "virtual" inserts by assigning digital inserts to busses/outputs, and route that signal back in via an aux or other channel. I also believe there is some sort of plug in that does this more simply.

You do not need an insert jack in order to use external preamps. A preamp amplifies the mic signal to line level. So you just plug your mic into the preamp, and plug the line out (usually TRS balanced or XLR to TRS) of the pre into one of the line level inputs on the 002.

The confusion of inserts/preamps might be caused by the less conventional use for insert jacks. If you plug a cable into an insert jack halfway, it acts like a half-normalled patchbay. You can send the audio out to another desitnation without breaking the signal chain on the channel. A lot of people use this to send channels driect to tape or processor, while still monitoring the original source. Still others use it as a line level input on a desk that doesn't have line level inputs.

I hope this helped.

-encephalon
Lush Music
Old 10-10-2002, 01:55 PM

so would it be imposibble to plug a dual cassete recorder into the 002 so i can record a rough copy mix for the artist whowants to take it home

i doubt that theres a devoted output on the 002 just for tape decks, but im also sure its possible

my guess would be to use the stereo outs or sumthin, im not too sure though

could anyhow explain how i would hook a tape deck to record the stereo mix
Old 10-10-2002, 02:29 PM

Personally I use a device that has a pream / compressor combo built into and then that goes into the line level input on the Digi002.

With regards to patch internally aroun in session, and using the digital inserts on a channel, When in low latnecy mode all of that (inserts and such)are disabled while recording.

Yeah you can patch all around digitally, however when recording and in low latency mode all is mute.

a) use an outboard pream and compression chain.
OR
b) when using the 002 micpre's just set the level so as your maximum will not peak.
OR
c) don't record in low latency mode and see how fun that is.

If there are any other options go for it.
San Diego, Ca.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:59 PM

And keep in mind that the 002 has both aux RCA stereo inputs and aux RCA stereo outs, so connecting a cassette player shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:56 PM

VintageTUBE:

sorry for being a buit confused on what you were trying to actually say in your reply,

im planning on using a device like the new joemeek preamp, or a focurite voicemaster preamp

are you suggesting that i plug my mic into the preamp, and ther preamp into the line in

thats what i had in mind, i only got confused because i tought that INSERTS and LINE INS were the same thing.

this will be my first home setup, so again, please excuse these newbie questions i keep posting.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:18 AM

originally posted by vintagetube
Quote:
there are no inserts on the mixer
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's literally true, but correct me if I'm wrong Vintage(I am a beginner).....because the mixer is instantly configurable to any setup you choose, then the need for dedicated send/rcv jacks has been somewhat reduced......any analog in or analog out can be configured to route to and from outboard gear, and as well.... any digital I/O can be configured on the hardware setups page(as described on p.48 in the 002 start-up manual)....so technically speaking....the 002 mixer(in ProTools mode)doesn't have dedicated insert points, but does have inserts....you just have to look at them differently...Is that correct?

WF