Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2011, 06:21 PM

Default installing questions

I have 9.0.5 on lion 10.7.2 and I have the instrument expansion pack already installed. In the pdf for PT 10 it says this -
"If you install the Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack (PTIEP) before installing Pro Tools on a system running Mac OS X 10.7.x (Lion), no plug-ins will appear in the Pro Tools inserts menu. To avoid this, install Pro Tools first, then install the PTIEP. If you installed the PTIEP first, you must uninstall both Pro Tools and the PTIEP, then reinstall Pro Tools first, followed by the PTIEP."

Does this mean I have to uninstall everything and reinstall? Or is this only if you don't have protools installed at all. Why would anyone install the expansion pack before pro tools anyway?

Also in the downloads there is this-
"Avid Virtual Instruments 10 Installer"

Do I need to install this as well? Or will my virtual instruments be there from 9.0.5?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Default Re: installing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post

Does this mean I have to uninstall everything and reinstall?
Sounds like a good idea.

Quote:

Do I need to install this as well? Or will my virtual instruments be there from 9.0.5?
You must install this. When you uninstall PT9 you will lose the Creative Collection as well, and this is the replacement. (Grand Piano, Xpand2, DB-33, etc).

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-25-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Sounds like a good idea.

You must install this. When you uninstall PT9 you will lose the Creative Collection as well, and this is the replacement. (Grand Piano, Xpand2, DB-33, etc).
It might sound a like a good idea but the instructions aren't really very clear. They seem to be saying if you don't have pro tools installed already then install it before the expansion pack. But I do have pro tools already - pro tools 9.0.5

Im not installing until this is clear. I need a bit more feedback than "sounds like a good idea". It won't be a good idea when my entire system gets screwed. Besides, how the hell do I uninstall everything??

Anyone else done installed from 9.05 to 10 on OSX 10.7.2 ?? Please let me know what you did. Is there any way to actually contact pro tools. Seems to me that their contact link leads round in circles.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
"If you install the Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack (PTIEP) before installing Pro Tools on a system running Mac OS X 10.7.x (Lion), no plug-ins will appear in the Pro Tools inserts menu. To avoid this, install Pro Tools first, then install the PTIEP. If you installed the PTIEP first, you must uninstall both Pro Tools and the PTIEP, then reinstall Pro Tools first, followed by the PTIEP."

Does this mean I have to uninstall everything and reinstall? Or is this only if you don't have protools installed at all. Why would anyone install the expansion pack before pro tools anyway?
Because users have clones setup with PTIEP preinstalled. Or perhaps installing Pro Tools 10 requires that you uninstall Pro Tools 9.0.x first thus leaving PTIEP install. That is the ReadMe Known Issues is correct.

Quote:

When you uninstall Pro Tools 9.0.x, Creative Collection is uninstalled too. If you would like what is offered with Creative Collection then you need to install Avid Virtual Instrument. Creative Collection as of Pro Tools 10 is called Avid Virtual Instruments.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Because users have clones setup with PTIEP preinstalled. Or perhaps installing Pro Tools 10 requires that you uninstall Pro Tools 9.0.x first thus leaving PTIEP install. That is the ReadMe Known Issues is correct.

When you uninstall Pro Tools 9.0.x, Creative Collection is uninstalled too. If you would like what is offered with Creative Collection then you need to install Avid Virtual Instrument. Creative Collection as of Pro Tools 10 is called Avid Virtual Instruments.
Ok I need a straight answer here. Does anyone actually know or are you all just having a guess? Can I please just get a very simple yes you must uninstall everything first or no you don't have to and please explain why. Also please explain how I uninstall everything if needed.
What about my other plug ins that aren't avid?? Do they need reinstalling also?

Apparently I am entitled to some free support because I purchased the expansion pack however when submitting my email to retrieve a code I am told I do not have a code. Pro tools support is shocking. One of the worst I have encountered in my entire life.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Ok I need a straight answer here. Does anyone actually know or are you all just having a guess? Can I please just get a very simple yes you must uninstall everything first or no you don't have to and please explain why. Also please explain how I uninstall everything if needed.
What about my other plug ins that aren't avid?? Do they need reinstalling also?
How many more times do you need to be told?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 PM

I cross upgraded from 9.0.5 to 10. I installed Lion first then installed protools 10. Never uninstalled 9 and didn't install the avid virtual instrument 10. The ones from pt9 were still there and work fine under 10.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
How many more times do you need to be told?
Your answer is not clear. You have not clarified why you think I need to uninstall everything or how I actually do this. You have not clarified that you have done this either or what system you are using.

As I said the PDF does not clearly say I must do this.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twix View Post
I cross upgraded from 9.0.5 to 10. I installed Lion first then installed protools 10. Never uninstalled 9 and didn't install the avid virtual instrument 10. The ones from pt9 were still there and work fine under 10.
That's strange.

The installer should tell you to uninstall PT9 first, from what I understand. I'm surprised your VIs still work.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twix View Post
Ok so now Im getting a completely different story again. Weird that the instruments are working for you though as the pdf says that they won't??