Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2009, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Does Boom Realy suck this bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Nick View Post
Wow...I've only had PT8 up and running for the past 2 days or so, and I was super excited about Boom cause I make a lot of Hip Hop and R&B...

But if Boom doesn't have individual outputs, that really does make it completely useless...Damn, that sucks cause I like the way it sounds.

The only work around would be to put it on a bunch of instrument tracks and use each track for a different sound, but how taxing is that gonna be on my CPU...

I guess I'll find out, and I hope this VI doesn't quickly get tucked under the rug as a "Could of Been!"
As I say this is shown in a video on the AIR user blog and since you ask printing it to audio tracks is less taxing on the CPU than running a live VI. It won't get tucked under the rug, I've already used it on 2 TV commercials for major global brands, I wouldn't call that a 'has-been'.

Videos here...
http://airvirtualinstruments.blogspo...nd-tricks.html
http://airvirtualinstruments.blogspo...e-she-was.html
http://airvirtualinstruments.blogspo...o-to-midi.html

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Hey RussUK, Thanks for all of your work and dedication to the Air Blog!

I don't mean to bag on Boom, cause like I said, I LOVE the way it sounds...and no matter what, it'll stay in my Tool Box...but you've got to understand me when I cry like a baby about not having individual outputs on this Beautiful VI.

I simply desire to use it as a Main Staple in my productions, but to be completely honest, I think I'm just gonna sample it and make my own custom patches to use in Structure (Full Version) cause I'm so used to individual outputs since I'm a Reason User and Structure User.

I do really like your trick about panning those mono tracks Right and Left and then Print Two Tracks at once...and I recommend to everyone to watch RussUK's Video's for Tips and Tricks...

and on a final note, if I may make a request to Digi and AIR,...If you do make an update to Boom (and I do Love Expand!2, very much), then could you make the individual outputs the main priority, even before adding new Kits, or the ability to use your own samples.

Thank You Kindly.

Electric Nick
Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 PM

It's 2009 and having to jump through hoops to get Individual tracks is a huge over sight!!

I've been trying to get a few clients into using Boom but the first thing they always want is to add a Plug to the kick or a synced Delay to a hand clap.

I've been Directed to Izotopes iDrum in other posts but haven't jumped on board I know you can load your own samples but don't know about individual outs!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog BBQ View Post
It's 2009 and having to jump through hoops to get Individual tracks is a huge over sight!!

I've been trying to get a few clients into using Boom but the first thing they always want is to add a Plug to the kick or a synced Delay to a hand clap.

I've been Directed to Izotopes iDrum in other posts but haven't jumped on board I know you can load your own samples but don't know about individual outs!!!
As I print everything to tracks anyway, I can make coffee and at the same time those tracks are printing.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:54 PM

Russ I watched your video and all it did was prove my point that this tool needs improvement. I love Pt just as much as you or anyone else on this forum, but isn't this a place where we can be honest. This tool in it's current state has many limitations that it really should not have in 2009 PT 8.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 PM

I need to hear things in real time Not Printed!!!

I can't wait to Print then reprint when they change a groove

then reprint when they want to use another kick sample

Sometimes the effects are part of the groove and need to be heard as it's created

You have to admit boom would be a whole lot more useful if it had individual outs!!!!!

it is what it is It should be called Fizzle not boom!!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmendoja View Post
Russ I watched your video and all it did was prove my point that this tool needs improvement. I love Pt just as much as you or anyone else on this forum, but isn't this a place where we can be honest. This tool in it's current state has many limitations that it really should not have in 2009 PT 8.
Yes it is a forum where everyone can be honest and my honest answer to the ORIGINAL question of 'Does Boom really suck this bad' is 'NO'. The way I assess this is simply how useful it is and as I've already said I've used it on 2 PAYING jobs for major brands, so it made me money, so that leads any reasonable person to deduce that it doesn't 'suck this bad'.

If the question is now 'could Boom be improved' the answer is of course yes, as I've said a million times so could my iPhone, Mac, kettle, watch etc. ad infinity. If you haven't got time (wow what a stressful life!) to print a track, then instantiate it twice. Should you have to do this? Perhaps not. Sh*t happens, get over it.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 AM

Russ... Don't take it personal or get your feelings hurt. Just get with the times . The tool is a toy not comparable with ultrabeat or Redrum and I hate logic. All I'm asking for is a tool I can actually use with a decent work flow... don't get your nickers in a bunch.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:40 AM

I respect both opinions reguarding Boom. I don't think it's as bad as the original poster thinks it is, and I'm not as positive to it as RussUK.
Some more samples per kit, fx and individual outputs and I'll be happy.

Maby this should be posted on the apreciation page, but I have to give RussUK credit for being a positive person looking for solutions rather than being a negative person looking for limitations like many of us other posters here do.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmendoja View Post
Russ... Don't take it personal or get your feelings hurt. Just get with the times . The tool is a toy not comparable with ultrabeat or Redrum and I hate logic. All I'm asking for is a tool I can actually use with a decent work flow... don't get your nickers in a bunch.
Not getting my knickers in a bunch just answering your questions.

Get with the times listen here http://airvirtualinstruments.blogspo...hind-blog.html and then you'll realise that some of us have been with the times for several decades, as someone who paid several thousand pounds for a 2 track editor and a thousand pounds for a drum machine, I just count my blessing that I can now make money out of FREE gear. I suggest that as you've recently joined the community you do a few searches on this question alone and see the exhaustive discussions that have already taken place. Search is your friend and will help you avoid circular conversations and re-inventing thread wheels.