Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Digi 002 Rack Factory Bundle

Quick poll... Is it worth the extra dough to get the Factory Bundle? Do the people that have it use the extra plugins a lot? Which ones are the most useful to have?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Digi 002 Rack Factory Bundle

I have the MBox Factory Bundle, which includeds five out of the ten extra plug-ins that the 002 facotry bundles include. It's okay. Some of the plugs are cool to use as effects, and I do like the Joe Meek EQ and Compressor. However, the one thing that is conspicuously missing from all of the Factory Bundles, is a decent reverb plug-in, or any reverb at all.

For the $400 or so extra that you will pay for the 002R Facotory Bundle you can get the Waves Native Power pack, which DOES included a decent reverb. Actually I think Full Compass sell the Native Power Pack for about $300, which is a $100 less than the facotry bundle. If I were going to buy an 002R, I would probably get just the regular 002R, and spend the extra money on the Waves Native Power Pack.

However, if you already have some other decent plugins, then yeah, the Factory Bundles provide a nice selection of odd and ends--except for a reverb.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 04-18-2005, 08:14 PM

Can you buy the 002R factory bundle separately?
I looked everywhere to find an answer to this without luck.
I already own a 002R and could use those plugs.
thanks,
Old 04-18-2005, 08:37 PM

I'm with JC on this one. Skip the bundle and put the money towards Waves Gold bundle which has stuff you will use a lot more. I use TrueVerb and Rverb on every project as well as the "Q"parametrics. The only time I use Dverb is if I need a cheesy mono verb.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-18-2005, 09:23 PM

If you are upgrading to an OO2 from an OO1, the extra cost is only $250-. At that price, it's probably worth it IF you have specific needs for effects type plugins. At $400-, no way. You get MAXIM, D-FI, and a few reasonable ambiance plugins which round out the standard Audio Suite plugins. Since Waves is currently not my favorite developer, I will urge you to search around the DUC for other up and coming bundles that are talked about a lot. Also remember the VST to RTAS wrapper if you really want to play with free stuff. Download the trial versions and install them when you have some time to play with them.
DigiOO2 Factory
Old 04-19-2005, 04:25 AM

HI,

I second the above about WAVES, as being not the first choice (esp. for people on a budget).

Whoever tosses around to buy stuff from WAVES should also mention the considerable WUP EXTRACOSTS for upgrades just to keep that stuff running.

PLUS that you´re stuck with them forever, concerning the smaller packages as they CHARGE a $150 or so for licence transfer fees.

PLUS they want you to have their OWN iLok key. So think twice. For pro or semi pro this might pay, but not for the amateur guild.

I suggest checking out
the stuff from www.elementalaudio.com for technical plugs better than Waves.
and www.tritonedigital.com for the musical side.

These are plugs that suit yor needs for a very long time.

regs
Old 04-19-2005, 07:09 AM

would agree with most here to skip the bundle---(also considering that you're saving 70-80 bucks on sales tax if you're going to retail like i did)---i got the 002R without, saved a little longer and got waves gold---i'll never look back--friend of mine later got a factory bundled MBOX and there is really nothing in my opinion that you couldn't even acomplish with the audiosuite/rtas effect package that 6.7 comes with anyhow (2cent)---just a note--if you are looking for that something special in a plug-in try maybe PSP Audio or Antares
Old 04-19-2005, 07:51 AM

Let's see..... I have the 002R Factory bundle.
I really like mooger fooger and Tel Ray delays.
I also like the BF compressors.
I like Sans Amp as a different color option to Amplitube and POD XT that I have.
I also like the Voce spin lslie simulations.
I like Maxim even though it is not so easy to get a perfect sound for my taste.
All of these are worthed the extra bux that i paid.

However, I have to tell you that I also own Waves Renaisance Maxx bundle which includes...
  • RVerb
  • RComp
  • REQ
  • RChannel (which I think is the nicest/most practical plug of all)
  • RVox
  • RMaxBass
  • RDeesser (Very important as well)

I also have PSP Audio lexicon 84 and 42 (CPU hungry but very nice).

I really like my plugs and use them a lot.
I also have to tell you this:
With the addition of the new EQ from Digi,
There is nothing you can not do to make a very good recording using the stock Digirack plugs.
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 04-19-2005, 07:55 AM

Just a comment for those who recommend Waves...
Waves' practices regarding licensing and transfer of ownership are evil, and until that changes, it would be nice if people avoided Waves products. Their stuff isn't so amazingly good that Waves' policies should be condoned.

What it comes down to is that Waves pricing is really a subscription model, with a high, almost-non-transferable startup cost. Their annual fee is high, and their license transfer fees are indefensible.