Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Default Pro Tools 9 Academic

Can you release music from Pro tools 9 Academic version Commercially?
Old 03-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 Academic

PT 9 academic and PT 9 are the same software.
Just two different means on how to buy it. On is discounted the other isn't.

The only difference is how it's purchased. The retailer of PT 9 Academic will have strict requirements for you (ID, Paperwork, etc...) in order for you to make the purchase.

Aside from that both versions are identical.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 PM

I think the OP was asking about the legally of using Academic software for commercial purposes, not about the difference in software.

Check the Software License Agreement.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 PM

Isn't this a matter of ethics? Can you agree to one thing and do another and still look yourself in the mirror? The agreement states, if you are using academic software, you agree you will not charge for your work. I'm guessing you can get around this by upgrading to the commercial version before you accept any remuneration.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Isn't this a matter of ethics? Can you agree to one thing and do another and still look yourself in the mirror? The agreement states, if you are using academic software, you agree you will not charge for your work. I'm guessing you can get around this by upgrading to the commercial version before you accept any remuneration.
I'm just curious, where does it say that? (not saying that you're wrong, just wondering)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 AM

Just got this from my AVID inside sales rep- there are no restrictions for Pro tools academic version and commercial uses. You would not be violating the license by using this on a commercial project and releasing it. I think Tom@Metro is referring to the situation where an engineer obtains a student copy of PT9 and then installs it in a commercial studio and charges other people. That would be unethical. But if you make a song using Pro Tools and you release it- that is all good : )

You *would* also be violating the license if you were not a student, or part of an academic institution.

I think everyone on this forum as well as AVID would be thrilled if you were able to commercially release your projects that you were working on in school using Pro Tools- please let all of us know if you do : )
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.

Last edited by promixr; 03-30-2011 at 08:03 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promixr View Post
I think everyone on this forum as well as AVID would be thrilled if you were able to commercially release your projects that you were working on in school using Pro Tools- please let all of us know if you do : )
I can't see why this would be a bad thing. It's great PR for both the school and AVID. Definitely worth asking just to be sure though. I know some schools can be kind of touchy about IP.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promixr View Post
I think Tom@Metro is referring to the situation where an engineer obtains a student copy of PT9 and then installs it in a commercial studio and charges other people. That would be unethical.
Ahh! Gotcha, that makes sense.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 PM

The only thing I could find in the Pro Tools license agreement regarding academic versions was this:

"Academic Use. If the software is designated or specially-priced as an "Academic" or "Education" version, it is licensed only for use by students, faculty, and staff of an educational institution."

The rest of agreement you still have to adhere too and applies.

However, it does not say, while a student, if you purchase this software and while working in your home basement studio happen to produce a Grammy award winning record (something that went viral and was picked up by a major label), we will come back and sue you.

But - yes, others have eluded to ethics... and I agree, If you have a major studio, established for the purpose of making a profit, you'd probably want to spend the extra $125.00. And at that point, after spending $1M for elaborate construction/gear, what's another $500.00. Besides, if it is a business, it's all tax deductible.

Other than that - both versions are identical. Just have your student ID ready and you'll get 50% off. Izotop offers great student discounts as well. I got Alloy & Ozone 4 with a student discount. (I wish Waves did it...).
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM

Waves does offer students and faculty academic pricing on selected products (at a 50% discount) - you have to supply a student ID, a drivers license or passport, and you have to fill out a short form.

They offer 50% discount on all of their products to academic institutions with a school purchase order.

Find out more here:

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=10662

and here:

http://imsproav.com/main/Academic-GS...-Academic.html

Feel free to contact me about other software, more and more software developers - including AVID -have excellent educational programs and discounts : )
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.