Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2009, 03:10 PM

Default Pro Tools encountered an error and needs to shut down?

In a session, I create a new track, the next box designates either mono or stereo.. I click mono which shows up in the box. The next box defines the track as either Audio, Aux, Midi, Master or Instrument. So I click on Midi, and when I do, the box to the left showing the mono info disappears! If I then click the OK button, I get the error message..... Pro Tools encountered an error and needs to shut down.... And it's correct. I click OK and it closes down.. The disappearance of the mono/stereo box only happens when Midi is chosen?? Has anyone else seen this, and what can I do.. I have PTMP 7.4cs9 with the Project Mix I/O, 2 gigs Ram.. Does it make sense I could only have the Instrument track and Midi is no longer available. I don't think so, but then again, I don't know what to think!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you
Old 05-23-2009, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools encountered an error and needs to shut down?

First, when you choose a MIDI track the format box always disappears, as MIDI data is just data and you wouldn't choose mono or stereo. Now what you send that data to might create a mono or stereo sound based on the MIDI data, but that doesn't have anything to do with the MIDI track.

Now why you are getting the crash, I don't know. What type of computer? With what little I know so far about your system, I would probably start by trash the prefs and restarting.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 05-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Are you saying that the MIDI track crashes your system and an instrument track does not?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-25-2009, 09:47 AM

Yes Tom, When I choose the Midi track and click OK to open a midi track, pro tools says it's encountered a problem and needs to close. The other options, Audio,Aux,Master and Instrument track, no such thing happens. The track is created and off we go..
Old 05-25-2009, 11:23 AM

I've read up a bit on Google about trashing the Preferences in Pro Tools... Maybe this would help this problem of creating a midi track crashing pro tools.. There is a question I could use some help with...
The step where I have a question is .... Start>My Computer>C:/Documents and Settings>Current User Folder>Application Data>Digidesign and then delete the Pro Tools Preferences file...
There is no 'Current User Folder' specific, but I don't think that matters.
I see the Digidesign folder in two places, under a folder Rich, and then in the TEMP folder.. I see only two files that have the word Prefs.PTP, both in the TEMP folder, along with another file named DefaultDigiMIDISetup.dms and two other files Recent Files, and Recent Folders...
The Rich folder has just two files Recent files, and Recent folders... nothing with the word Prefs.PTP.
If I'm to delete preference files, is it just the two in the TEMP folder? Thanks for any insight you might have.. Rich