Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 11:28 AM

Default Omf, Protools to Avid Symphony

hey,
i finished the sounddesign for a movie.
Now, i 've the problem that i ve to do new edits in Avid, so that the bounced stereo file won't match clearly with the movie.

So I want to export the 21 Tracks as an OMF, and import it in avid, do the edits, export it from avid as omf and do some corrections in protools ( and bounce, and master it).

The Problem: avid symphony can't import the protools omf; and i think the omf should be one container-file, instead of an omf file and an folder with the consolidated media.

Do you know if avid need an omf-container-file? how is the way to do that?

i'm fear of losing the automation data like volume, mute, pan.

maybe someone could tell me some steps how to solve this.

greets b

PS: sorry for my bad english, and for the newbe-questions.

in german it's easier, maybe someone could read:
die Tonmischung für einen Film habe ich in Protools beendet. Jetzt habe ich allerdings das Problem, dass ich leider noch ein paar Kleinigkeiten in Avid umschneiden will und muss.

So war meine Idee also, dass ich ein Omf der 21 Spuren in Protools exportiere, diese dann in Avid importiere und den Schnitt abschließe. Dann die Tonspuren exportiere, wieder in Protools importiere bzw. öffne, leichte Korrekturen an den neuen Cuts vornehme und dann den Soundtrack als Wave bounce, mastere und im Avid importiere.

Nun bin ich aber auf einige Schwierigkeiten und Fragen gestoßen:
-Ich muss den Digitranslator benutzen, oder? wie gehe ich mit diesem um? kann avid nicht einfach das normal exportierte omf (mit consolidierten daten) importieren?
- verliere ich auf dem Weg Protools -> AVID die automatisiereten Daten wie Volume, Pan, Mute?

Ich hoffe das Problem, das ich habe ist verständlich und ihr wisst ne Lösung, es wäre schlecht, wenn ich die ganze Arbeit am Protools nochmal erledigen müsste.

-> die einfachste aber auch primitivste weise wäre, die Session zu bouncen und mit dieser in Avid weiterzuschneiden und eben dort dann mit Blenden etc. zu pfuschen.

Vielen Dank
b
Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Omf, Protools to Avid Symphony

An Avid Symphony will read OMFs from PT if you create them as version 2 and embedded (i.e. creates one OMF file). The OMF cannot be larger than 2GB otherwise it will corrupt itself. You will probably lose all your automation.

The better way to do it would be to use Virtual Katy (there is a fully functional demo on their site). Simply create a EDL of the first cut, make the changes and create a second EDL. Load into Virtual Katy, it works out the differences and moves the audio around within PT (so all automation/plugin data is kept).