Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2002, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Best System for PTLE for under $1000.00

usually black is negative/ground and red is positive. If its only the leds you're connecting, dont worry. I dont think you can damage those leds when you connect them wrong. They will just not work. And then you can change them if you have to.

Things like reset swith, sleep switch and (i think) power swith are just switches, so they have no preferren way of connecting. ie it doenst matter...

Bastiaan
Old 09-05-2002, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor1725:
ok i'm done with the fan, thank you very much. i'm connecting those things into the motherboard like POWER LED and reset and all that jazz, and there's a whole bunch of colors. which is the ground for the wires? is there a rule of thumb
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Depends on your case. Most of those wires come with plastic connectors on the ends that have very small labels engraved in them. I guess you will know if one of them doesn't work. LOL

Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2002, 12:50 AM

Post 500 Right here! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2002, 01:37 PM

ok everything is put together, i've double checked everything. so when i turn it on, nothing happens. no beeps, video card won't turn on and the CPU is running. i can't check what BIOS the motherboard has but do you think that it's the same problem basswear was having...where the motherboard wouldn't boot up with the xp2200 because of the bios version? you said something about the manual jumpers, but do i have to play with all the manual jumpers? and i read the "build your own PC" thing from your first page and it says i need a floppy startup disk, but that wouldn't do me any good seeing as the A: won't even boot up. AHHHHHHH [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2002, 02:55 PM

Maybe we will just do away with this whole A7M266 and the XP2200+ processors. You definitely need to know what bios version is in that motherboard because it will not boot with that XP2200+ without bios version 1007. Do you have a friend or know of a computer tech person that can lend you a T-bird processor until you get the bios flashed. You will need the T-bird processor to bootup and flash the bios to 1007 which will require an internet connection. When you are in the process of flashing you will be given the option to create an emergency startup disk with the old bios. Make sure you do that for safety sake. Your bios version should be on a sticker on the motherboard or on the box I would think. If not call the company you got it from to find out.
Asus assured me that the XP2200+ works with this motherboard and we have one guy on the DUC using this combo right now with great success. And yes, two that are not booting so far.

Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2002, 03:03 PM

yeah i have 1.004, i'll probably have to go to a computer store and try to get them to flash it for me or buy a t-bird (maybe a duron, one guy said it worked). and for some reason, no comptuer stores in orlando are open on saturdays, i'm going to hang myself [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Allen thanks again
Old 09-07-2002, 03:06 PM

by the way, any recommended t-bird processors that you know will surely work? my friend has an AMD athlon 750MHz...will that do?
Old 09-07-2002, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor1725:
by the way, any recommended t-bird processors that you know will surely work? my friend has an AMD athlon 750MHz...will that do?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If it is a T-bird or Duron it should work. I don't remember where those T-birds started. Give it a try. Make sure you put some arctic silver paste on it for heat transfer. I'd hate to see you have to buy your friend a new processor.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
Maybe we will just do away with this whole A7M266 and the XP2200+ processors. You definitely need to know what bios version is in that motherboard because it will not boot with that XP2200+ without bios version 1007. Do you have a friend or know of a computer tech person that can lend you a T-bird processor until you get the bios flashed. You will need the T-bird processor to bootup and flash the bios to 1007 which will require an internet connection. When you are in the process of flashing you will be given the option to create an emergency startup disk with the old bios. Make sure you do that for safety sake. Your bios version should be on a sticker on the motherboard or on the box I would think. If not call the company you got it from to find out.
Asus assured me that the XP2200+ works with this motherboard and we have one guy on the DUC using this combo right now with great success. And yes, two that are not booting so far.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We have a small issue with the XP2200+ processor. There were two versions released, one with the old Palomino core (.18micron) and the new one with the Thoroughbred core (.13micron). Here is how you can tell the difference.

"Important note:

AMD has released 2 versions of the 2200+ athlon. One is based on the new throughbred, and the other the older .18 u based palamino. To distinguish the two, you must look at the model number. The new throughbred core can be identified as beginning with AXDA in the model number."

The new Abit KT333 motherboards are having trouble posting with these new .13 micron Throroughbreds right now. It is the only reported problem so far. These new processors have fewer pins than the older Palominos. I'll dig up some info to see if anyone has experienced problems outside the DUC with either processor and the A7M266.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:38 PM

Bump for Calvin. Good luck on building your new SUPER computer.