Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2023, 04:58 AM

Default Re: The Aux I/O device has disappeared from the system and will be disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEJPRO View Post
All the audio devices have been methodically placed at 48k..I'm gonna see how it goes for now. I haven't done a session with clients yet, but VO record sessions involve talent via Source Connect, and client listening, talkback, communications, etc. through Zoom.

I have a working Windows 10/PT 2021.12 Ultimate setup that I've been using for about 3 years with zero problems for emergency backup.

I purchased this Mac Mini Pro M2 as an upgrade, and have been debugging for days now, to anticipate any hiccups that might happen during a session.

I'm wondering if people are trying to use the "Zoom Device" for telecomms in PT Aux I/O...according to Avid that's a no-go, because of sync/drifting issues.

I've added custom devices to the AudioBridge.config file successfully, and they show up as Avid devices in the audio/midi setup. I'm going to use these as the official I/O for Zoom and Source Connect, and set my PB buffer to 128. Seems quite solid for now, but won't know fully till I get a 30 or 45 min session under my belt.

As you can see the devices I've added have the avid logo, so are right alongside the original bridge devices in the config file. I'm wondering when the "dropped devices" thing happens on other's machines, if they're also disappearing from this list? My haven't, and permanently reside there.
I have no access to the machine that I configured with Aux IO until next week. On may main rig I still use Source Nexus. I'm really curious why PT still wouldn't keep the IO after restarting the program.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:02 AM

Default Re: The Aux I/O device has disappeared from the system and will be disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilILönneberga View Post
I have no access to the machine that I configured with Aux IO until next week. On may main rig I still use Source Nexus. I'm really curious why PT still wouldn't keep the IO after restarting the program.
I have absolutely no problem with source nexus, and would keep using it with my workflow because it's never let me down.

Only problem is once I saw the PT performance increase from running Native vs Rosetta, I don't want to go back (at least in my head); and on top of that source nexus (run as a plugin on a track) isn't available in Native, "forcing" me to use Aux I/O instead. I want to use it, because it's supposed to just work, and it might be perfect the way my system is configured, but I have to keep testing to try and make it crash to see if it's gonna be a problem for me and my workflow. Long story short, I WANT to use Native vs Rosetta.

Just to give an example of the processing power of the M2 Pro in a real world scenario for me:

Waves Clarity VX, using the 'Broad 1' algorithm:

Windows 10 PC, I7 10th gen, PT 2021.12, Playback Buffer 1024 - about 3 or 4 instances

Mac Mini Pro M2,Ventura 13.5, PT 2023.6 Rosetta, Playback Buffer 1024 - about 3 or 4 instances

Mac Mini Pro M2,Ventura 13.5, PT 2023.6 NATIVE, Playback Buffer 128 - about 40 instances

I was absolutely floored when I could do that many instances of Clarity. I've since moved on to Acon products, but still, it just shows you the power of PT running Native. It was a good objective test, at least for me.

I also took a huge post session I did for a spot last year with tons of plugins and processing needed, and my PC rig was just about getting to the end of it's ability before I would be getting some 'running out of processing' errors at 1024 buffer. I loaded this session in PT2023.6 on the Mac in Native mode, duplicated the entire session's tracks 4 times, and it played back without problems at a 64 buffer. I loved that it has that much headroom.

TBH I'm worried about a problem I haven't had yet (the error that it dropped on playback or record; not just my observation of it acting funny at first in the I/O), because I'm OCD with thorough testing and such; but yes, the I/O not sticking is a bug that I don't want to see, especially when the Aux I/O can apparently be dropped and removed DURING a session.

Last edited by DJEJPRO; 08-07-2023 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:20 AM

I totally see your point.
But now I’m curious, will the outputs be dropped if you launch PT in Rosetta mode?
Old 08-07-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I totally see your point.
But now I’m curious, will the outputs be dropped if you launch PT in Rosetta mode?
Just tried it..doesn't work starting in Rosetta. It's not even a corrupt session that I can tell. I start a blank session, configure the I/O, save the I/O, save the session, and close. Restart PT (either mode), open the session, and the I/O can't find aux I/O components (I really think it's only been the outputs every time).

Really baffling, but I import my I/O named "Native Audiobridge", and it's all back. Fortunately I'm not having to 'rebuild' anything, which is a term I've seen others use. I'm really not 'rebuilding' anything at all..I'm literally just loading my known good I/O and it's back instantly with no additional configuring needed. Easy workaround; annoying, but easy.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEJPRO View Post
Just tried it..doesn't work starting in Rosetta. It's not even a corrupt session that I can tell. I start a blank session, configure the I/O, save the I/O, save the session, and close. Restart PT (either mode), open the session, and the I/O can't find aux I/O components (I really think it's only been the outputs every time).

Really baffling, but I import my I/O named "Native Audiobridge", and it's all back. Fortunately I'm not having to 'rebuild' anything, which is a term I've seen others use. I'm really not 'rebuilding' anything at all..I'm literally just loading my known good I/O and it's back instantly with no additional configuring needed. Easy workaround; annoying, but easy.
What happens if you include existing hardware to your Aux IO? I have a just added my HDMI display output via Aux IO and it stays in the IO even if I don't use it in the session. Will those get kicked out as well?
Old 08-07-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
What happens if you include existing hardware to your Aux IO? I have a just added my HDMI display output via Aux IO and it stays in the IO even if I don't use it in the session. Will those get kicked out as well?
Very interesting! I added one of my hdmi monitors as an Aux I/O output and it stays as an output when restarted. I even saved this test as a template, restarted PT, created a new session from this template, and it's still there as an output (but only the HDMI output...the other 'virtual' outputs aren't there though like I've been seeing).

Not sure what this might mean, since the virtual Aux I/O outputs (whether using the prebuilt file or a user modded one with custom devices) are still refusing to come up.

Also, I tried again to import the 'Last Used.pio' file in the prefs folder and it's not where I left it. I really think there's something up with it saving this file correctly. It's the only chance Pro Tools has for the I/O to come back up with where it was, and it's just not saving it correctly. It IS saving something though, as the date/time modified always changes to exactly when I close PT, so it seems unlikely to be a permissions thing..

Last edited by DJEJPRO; 08-07-2023 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:53 AM
Avid

Hiya folks! David here from the Community team! Has anyone created a case for this already? Please get in touch with me personally so I can have this looked at by the dev team. It seems that this has been going on for so long, correct?