Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Default 5.0/001 to 6.9/002 upgrade - need advice

I just got a new custom built PC based on info from this forum. It is running PTLE 6.9 with the 002 rack. My old system is 001 with PTLE 5.0. How should I move the 5.0 projects to the 6.9 system? On the 5.0/001 system I have an external USB drive that I have been using for backup by merely doing a copy within Windows Explorer. I was thinking about just connecting the USB drive to the new system, copying the files over to the HD on the 6.9 system and openning them in 6.9.

what do the smart guys recommend????
Old 04-03-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Re: 5.0/001 to 6.9/002 upgrade - need advice

I highly recommend opening each session on the old 5.0 system and doing a "Save Session Copy In" and selecting the USB drive as the new destination, making sure to put a check in the "Copy Audio Files & Session Plug-In Settings Folder" and possibly even the "Copy Root Plug-In Settings Folder" (though you only need to do the root settings for one session, after that it would be rudundant).

This will ensure that all of your audio files get copied over correctly.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-04-2006, 03:25 AM

thanks for the tip. After following your instructions and saving the 5.0 session to the USB drive (labeled G: on 5.0 system) I hooked it up to the 6.9 system. I started PT6.9 and openned the copied session off the USB drive (labeled F: on the 6.9 system). The first thing PT says is that "this session was created on a Mac without Mac/PC compatibility enforces. The session and any of its associated media files that are not PC-compatible will be copied to a new location to enforce PC naming and file types. Please choose a new location." Why does it do this? there was no Mac involved, ever.

At any rate, I save the copy to a new location on my hard drive (E: on the 6.9 system). PTLE then says that the "original disk allocation for this session cannot be used. One or more drives could not be found or are invalid for this session. As a result, disk allocation has been modified. Would you like to verify the new disk allocation?" If I click the 'yes' button it shows me a table with the tracks mapped to the E: drive. I click OK because I don't know anything else to do. Everything seems fine thus far. Did it do this because I moved the session from one machine to another and the drive names changing from G to F to E???

Now the copied/saved session opens in PT and everything appears fine until I press play on the transport. I then get the message:
"audio processing is conflicting with other CPU tasks. If this occurs often, reducing the 'H/W Budder Size' in the Playback engine Dialog may help prevent the problem (-9129)".

I check this buffer setting and it is on the max of 1024. So as the message suggested I lower the buffer size to 512. NOW when I press play I get the message:
"the operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs often, try increasing the 'H/W Buffer Size in the Playback Engine Dialog (-9093)"

One message says to decrease it, one says to increase it. I can't win, I'm stuck...........any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:47 AM

if you just got this system i recomend you skip 6.9 and get 7.0/7.1
Old 04-04-2006, 03:57 AM

is this because you have seen this situation before and moving to 7.x resolves it? or is 6.9 just an inferior release and I just need to be off of it?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:02 AM

if its a new system you should of got 7.x with it it or have a free update once u register
seems pointlees starting on an old version as 7.0 has been more stable, reliable and more responcive for most and the DAE is more efficent so you can run more plug-ins. it does need a little more RAM but overall its a better release.
as far as transfering session you no longer need to worry about MAC/PC compatability and loading session from the other platform seems to be a little smoother.

if your not going to use 7 try enforcing mac/pc compatability when you save your sessions. although i have no idea why it is saying your session is mac format when your using PC, mabey there was some compatability bug in 5 although 5 and 6 should be the same file format.

i hate having to use 6.9 now but waves is holding many back.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:48 PM

I just downloaded and installed 7.0, all the problems seem to have magically vanished..........thanks to all for the input