Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 10:59 PM

Default air filters in studio?

i was thinking of getting 2 air purifiers for my studio. one for the live room and another for the control room. any suggestions on a good totally silent one, im looking at the ionic breezes but have heard they can be bad for your equipment? any suggestions?

also, since my studio is built in my basement, i usually keep a humidifier down there and just shut it off while recording, i am thinking about getting one more for the other room, would it be ok to keep in a control room?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: air filters in studio?

The Ionic breezes don't hurt ny neve's any, and reduced airborne dust particles very noticably within 24 hours. Probably gonna get one for the EMI room next, and get rid if the noisy Honeywell.

Just don't put it between you and a sound source. We put one on top of the console, and the comb filter effect on the mains just about turned my head inside out. It wasn't an ion problem, just the sound waves passing though the grill.

As for humidifiers in the control room, only if they're regulated. Too much humidity corrodes pots and switches. I get a good deal of my income cleaning and/or replacing switches on vintage consoles.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:31 AM

Ionic Breeze has noticeably reduced dust here in the desert. Dead quiet, easy to clean and I've never heard about nor witnessed them doing anything bad to the gear; I've had mine running constantly for almost two years.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:21 AM

Although I dont have a lot experience in the subject, this topic is being covered at another forum Im a member of. A member had researched this a few months ago:

quote:
Consumer Reports tested many of the air cleaners recently. On a scale of 1-100 they gave the Ionic Breeze about a "2" in its ability to clean the air. When Sharper Image bitched about their report, C.R. send the I.B. to two universities for testing...same results. I would concur with their findings. We tried them with zero success. Sure, they capture some black stuff... but so does the bottom of my shoes... it doesn't mean my shoes are cleaning the air.

quote:
I got an Ionic Breeze from the Sharper Image, turned it on and smelt the ozone coming from it. I immediately removed it from the studio. It is fine for dust removal and killing bugs domestically, but ozone is extremely reactive and corrosive. Putting one of these in a control room is just asking for accelerated tarnishing, corrosion and degradation of equipment.

Check this out.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:29 AM

I always thought all those air filter things were a big hoax, just more scare tactics to increase consumer spending...
Old 03-03-2005, 11:41 AM

Yea, Slim..I pretty much agree, although Im not really up to date on the subject. One thing I can say...I look forward to the day that Im happy enough with my signal chain to feel Im ready to drop $1k on some air filters. Until then, Ive got some more money to spend on gear.

hmm..Will I ever scratch that itch?