Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: C\'MON! Can\'t Edit on my notebook W/O hooking u

By mobilemac'nstrat
Quote:
You seem to suggest that rather than risk anyone being 'miffed' or left out, nobody should get one. I think this is nuts!
Hello. Actually what I said is that the issue raised a sticking point of TDM and LE customers. A sticking point is not a dealbreaker, but a problem to be worked out. I agree that if they ultimately offer a solution similar to what we are talking about, not everyone will get their wishes, somebody will probably be miffed. And I also agree that it is better to have something rather than nothing at all. All I mentioned was that it was part of the issues involved.

By fire2k2
Quote:
You will never be able to run PT without a Digi interface... Now what if they sold hardware dongles, ranging in price from $450 to $2000, and force you to have one connected if you want to use PT? That sounds like a good cash cow. Wait, they already do that.
Well yes and no. What some of us are proposing is hardware solution. A PCMCIA cardbus, with stereo in and stereo out. Or even just plain stereo out only if Digidesign so chose. That's hardware, and it would sell well I think. And in the most essential terms, an iLok type of thing is technically hardware. I just think a PCMCIA cardbus would be better on all fronts than an iLok type of solution.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:08 PM

just have it address le and tdm, and possibly make it only for pre-existing customers
Old 01-22-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:
just have it address le and tdm, and possibly make it only for pre-existing customers
How is this possible without software authorization (=HACKABLE)?
Old 01-22-2005, 05:39 PM

the card would be the dongle instead of the mbox
Old 01-22-2005, 10:26 PM

I vote for a USB or Firewire dongle with a headphone out and volume control. It would have to run LE, as TDM would require hardware DAE.

However, I'm not holding my breath...
Old 01-22-2005, 11:09 PM

could i ask you to consider posting on this related thread which covers related issues? on the issue of tdm requiring hardware dae, is that something that could be contained in a new interface based on the digital i/o or the 192 i/o? this thread discusses the possiblity of new intermediate solutions between le and tdm, in addition to a standalone laptop solution for le/tdm - thanks - dave
Old 01-23-2005, 01:14 AM

Quote:
the card would be the dongle instead of the mbox
PTLE requires digi hardware to be connected. This is what keeps it safe from piracy.
Possession of the hardware allows the software to run. When you buy the hardware, you pay for the software too.
This means that whatever ‘dongle’ solution may be created has to work (and make economic sense) as an independent PTLE system.
The idea to ‘make it only for pre-existing customers’ is presumably so it needn’t cost so much – a cheap dongle to allow us to edit without hardware. This won’t work because the only way to prevent this cheap dongle being used by (or passed/sold on to) non-‘pre-existing customers’ would be SOFTWARE (=HACKABLE).

The cost of the Mbox system is good value; similar devices without software sell for roughly half the price, as does the Echo Indigo pcmcia card mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. Therefore I think this device would have to be a similar price to the Mbox, perhaps slightly cheaper.

If the card was ‘play only’ it could be cheaper, but can’t be too cheap because, as I stated earlier in this thread, even a record disabled PTLE is still a powerful mixing/editing tool which mustn’t be devalued by selling too cheaply or risking piracy.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:37 AM

1) ok - make it a card with amiii i/o and no pres and let it cost ~= to the mbox - you pay for the portability factor
2) returning to the tdm factor - for info purposes - could the hardware tdm dae you referred to be placed in an interface?
(this relates to the afore-mentioned thread )
- thanks - dave
Old 01-23-2005, 02:22 AM

Quote:
1) ok - make it a card with amiii i/o and no pres and let it cost ~= to the mbox - you pay for the portability factor

Yep, I'd buy one
Old 01-23-2005, 08:53 AM

Hello. I just want to clear something up, because I don't quite understand the point that was raised or tried to be made. All versions of Pro Tools, LE or TDM, use DAE. So I don't really know why that was brought up.