Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Why Do I laugh..?

Quote:
pay a studio to let you hang around as an intern for three months, you'll meet more working producers and people.
I don't know about you, but I don't know any studios or producers who will let a no-talent no-education kid just 'hang around' and ask questions, that gets old really really fast and will likely drive clientel away from the studio. Sure you'll meet people, but they'll all think you're an annoying mooch and if they're sure as hell not going to let you just chill out in the control room while they work on a record. If your goal is to drive to burbank to buy beeswax candles for Rick Rubin that might be a good way to start, but if you want to learn about recording, you'd be better off paying a working engineer and book some studio time and then let them walk you through a couple of sessions (as an alternative to higher education) - I'm sure you could find an artist or band that would love some free studio time while you learn how to record them.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:39 AM

The reason Pro Tools training schools are so expensive is because u become PT certified. Finding a college with a nice audio program is a cheaper alternative but u wont be PT certified. Im looking at CU Denver right now they have a nice four year audio program.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:48 AM

Ok, Jet.

Having updated your perspective, your original post makes more sense to me now.

And yes, "It's not what you know, It's who you know".
Im not sure where your working from now, but here in Los Angeles this statement is increased tenfold.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:10 PM

And yes, "It's not what you know, It's who you know".

[/QUOTE]

or not, who you want to work with, but who and what you have worked for,
if not what is all this curriculum thing for, knowing somebody, may help
jump a couple stairs, but you have to climb up the ladder, knowledge
always help, no matter where you got it, a good certified paper too,
unless you´re a billionares son, or a god elected one, if that exists,
we´re not talking about models and movie stars, but the people behind them,
does who really make it happen.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I don't know any studios or producers who will let a no-talent no-education kid just 'hang around' and ask questions, that gets old really really fast and will likely drive clientel away from the studio. Sure you'll meet people, but they'll all think you're an annoying mooch and if they're sure as hell not going to let you just chill out in the control room while they work on a record. If your goal is to drive to burbank to buy beeswax candles for Rick Rubin that might be a good way to start, but if you want to learn about recording, you'd be better off paying a working engineer and book some studio time and then let them walk you through a couple of sessions (as an alternative to higher education) - I'm sure you could find an artist or band that would love some free studio time while you learn how to record them.
Isn't that how (the artist formerly known as) Prince got started? I had heard back in the 70's he was just a "gofer" kid who slept on the floor of a studio, swept the place, etc., and gradually wormed his way in. I could be wrong though; a lot of brain cells have given up the ghost since I heard the story.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 01-15-2005, 05:45 PM

ggun wrote:
"Isn't that how (the artist formerly known as) Prince got started"?

I'm not sure about that..

Being from the Minneapolis and surrounding area it's constantly pounded in are heads that Prince got his start as a musician performing at First Avenue (a downtown nightclub/venue next to where the Timberwolves play basketball -and just a few blocks from where Bob Dylan went to college -And, many national acts still perform there, away from the large local arenas and stadiums).

I'm not a huge fan, but he can play the guitar. I couldn't pass up a chance to tour Paisley Park studios last summer (Prince's facility outside Mpls) and it was mind blowing to say the least.
As I've said before the sound stages alone were massive, let alone the state of the art recording studios.

len
PS. Pretty hard to hold a candle to our musician friends and family in Texas though..my parents live down there in the winter and Texas IS a great place for both musicians and non-musicians alike
Old 01-15-2005, 06:41 PM

Correct, he started as a musician not in a studio - check out the Biography "Purple Reign," it's a fascinating read.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:54 PM

The "Artist formerly known as "the artist formerly known as" Prince" is back to being Prince again, I think. And he did used to clean the toilets at a studio in Minneapolis.

I don't recall the name of the place, but he did intern for a while.

Jerry Fine was interning at Devonshire when he got tapped to do the Green Day Record.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:30 PM

Hey Slim,

Nice to see you on DirecTV this month!

I enjoyed it.

Nice to see great performing musicians..

Cool!

len
Old 01-15-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
And he did used to clean the toilets at a studio in Minneapolis.
Again I refer you to the biography. Prince's dad was a well known touring Jazz musician and Prince began playing at an early age. He formed his first band at 13 and got his first recording offer from Isaac Hayes when he was a senior in high school. The only time he worked in a studio was as a session musician post high school before he got signed by Warner Bros.

If you couldn't tell, I used to be a huge fan. I haven't liked anything he's done since about '93, but the stuff before that is really amazing.

Oh, and thanks for the comments Len - I'll be on the road again pretty soon with another artist, it's nice to make money as an engineer but performing is where my heart is.