How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 PM

Default PT 11 HDX Sidechain delays

Hi all,

I've read the manual on this a lot but I have to admit I'm having trouble getting PT 11 to do what I think it should be doing with regards delay compensation and sidechains.

I've set up a simple 3 track session with a sidechain (very short bursts of white noise on each beat of the bar), a sine wave that lasts a whole bar and a record track. I'm routing the sidechain to the sidechain input on a Waves H-Comp which is across the sine wave track. The output of the sine wave track is then routed to the record track. All I want is for my recorded sine wave to show the compressor being triggered on each beat of the bar (as per my sidechain track) but there appears to be a delay.

I've tried toggling the 'compensate sidechains' checkbox under the operations tab, I've tried routing the sidechain source track to an aux first and then to the H-Comp, and I've tried with delay compensation on and off but I can't get the compressor to trigger exactly on each beat of the bar.

Is this a known bug? Or am I doing something wrong? Or is there a better way to set this up? Or are you guys manually adjusting the side chain source?

System spec is:

PT11.1.3, HD Omni, MBP, Magma 3T Chassis, HDX, OSX 10.8.5.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:47 PM

Default Re: PT 11 HDX Sidechain delays

I think this is a bug related to the other delay compensation anomalies people have been experiencing with PT 11.

I recently spent half a day setting up and tinkering with an elaborate side chain signal path to trigger my mix busses so I could bounce stems and still achieve the same dynamics as if the entire arrangement were there...and that faulty delay compensation spoiled my efforts hard.

Here's to hoping for 11.2!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM

Many thanks for the reply drewbixmusic. Can anyone from Avid confirm this is the case please? And if so, is there any timeline for fixing this in a CS update?

What are people doing as a work around? Using PT10HD?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Could you try it with a AAX DSP plugin instead of the Waves H?

As Waves is native only and you are on HDX it's not the greatest test (not that it shouldn't work but reduction of variables is important)

You may not like the sound but the Avid Dyn3 I believe is AAX DSP capable, has side chains etc

Let us know
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 06-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Hi C,

Thanks for the reply - I've done a little more testing and indeed there seems to be differences between Native and AAX DSP instances of the same plugin (see attached session pic. It appears that there is a latency with the Native Plugins (which is a shame because I quite like the Waves H Comp). Also the amount of delay in the Native plugins seems to be plugin dependant - the H Comp being the worst offender in this case.

Looks like using an AAX DSP comp for sidechaining is the way to go at the moment but I'd like know (and will do some more tests) the implications for using a Native plugin either before or after your AAX DSP comp - will this mean that the side chaining then becomes delayed?

Any one from Avid want to comment on this? It would be great to get some definitive answers.

Many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT11HDX Sidechain Test.jpg (69.2 KB, 0 views)