Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2006, 01:50 AM

Default Building PC with $500-$600 budget need advice

Im looking to build my own PC.My Budget $500-$600.Can anyone tell me where to go as far as links for certain items. Also what can I get for that price range? I know for $699 you can get the Mac Mini. I think you can get more for that amount on the PC side. So if anyone can share info, that would be a great help. Also do you save much building your own? Versus buying from an online PC builder? Thanks
Im would use Pro tools LE 7 Mbox2 , with Line6 Vetta......
Old 04-05-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Building PC with $500-$600 budget need advice

Best Desktops for PTLE thread.

It's a sticky post at the top of the PTLE/Win index. The first post is updated frequently, so read that. If you decide to go for different hardware, read the Digi compatibility page to make sure it will work.

Wait... Desktop or Laptop? There's also a Best Laptop thread.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:45 PM

thanks for the info....What do you mean a sticky post on top of PT......?
It could be Desktop or Laptop...which ever would give me more for my money???
Old 04-05-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
thanks for the info....What do you mean a sticky post on top of PT......?
It could be Desktop or Laptop...which ever would give me more for my money???
I mean that there are several posts here on the DUC's PTLE for Windows Forum which are permanently stuck at the top of the first page, hence they are "sticky". Two of these are the best desktops and best laptops for PTLE threads. In my first post I provided links to the desktop thread and the compatibility pages, but if you go back to the page that brought you to this post and scroll up you will see them (as long as this post is on the first page, that is).

As for bang for the buck, desktop parts are going to be cheaper, but you can move a laptop more easily. If you plan on recording mostly in one place, go desktop, if you need mobility, go laptop. Whatever you do, spend your time doing the research before you spend your money! PTLE can be very picky about the hardware it runs on, and making sure the computer you buy is compatible will save you a lot of frustration.