Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2006, 08:54 AM

Default EXTREMELY LOUD noise from PTLE.

hey, I usually don't have many problems with PTLE... but i found this really odd. I'm lucky i didn't have my speakers up very loud or im sure i would have blown them. I was recording a session with a band and putting plugins on and everything. Everything was going great sounding perfect. But when i put on the Dyn 3 Gate i had a HUGE white noise maxing out the meter. Weird thing is.. it only lasts for abotu 5 seconds adn then goes away... I thought "wow.. that was wierd" and i went on mixing. Now.. After i restarted my computer i opened up that session and it did the same thing... HUGE noise for liek 5 secodns and then went away. Also, If i close the session and open it again(meaning the second time after a restart) it DOESN"T do it. hmm.. I dunno what it is and its making me nervous because i dont want to have to replace my tweeters AGAIN on my NS-10s... they are getting hard to find originals. ha.

I'm running PTLE 6.4 with the newest CS updates. I have done the ilok fix and all that stuff. I've had the Dyn 3 plugins on my computer for ahile now and have used them alot and it jsut suddenly started to do this. anyone know anything about this?
Old 04-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Re: EXTREMELY LOUD noise from PTLE.

You know Jonny, I've been having the same problem for the past couple days only. This has never happened before until a couple days ago. I'm on an Mbox2 on the latest version of PT with cs6. But my white noise is constant and when I record enable a track. The only way to fix it for me is to shut down Pro Tools and disconnect the USB connection, reconnect, and restart PT. But you're right, it maxes out the meters. Not good. I'd be really pi$$ed of that happened with my monitors cranked and they blew, or with the cans cranked and my freakin ears blew!

I have no real solution, but I just wanted tosay you're not the only one this is happening too.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:56 PM

Hi, I have a A8V athlon 64 3700 6.4 cs9 with a digi one and I also thought I narrowed the loud blast to the Dyn 3 expander gate, just moving it up an insert it screeched on me. But usually opening a session and hitting the space bar would do it. I did just install DUY everpack and analog channel. but I had to many variables going because I also just installed the new motherboard/processor and not re-install windows. But another issue I had was I noticed that sampletank and t-racks eq went into demo mode (cause of the new board) and I think they might do noise bursts in demo mode. So I re-installed EVERYTHING except t-racks and sampletank and for a few days now I've been burst free! Just a quieter shot at the first hit of the spacebar. One other thing I noticed was my IRL and BF1176 were spiking during the burst. Also I'm having de-normal issues with my AC2 the dither on top fix works but does that dither change the sample rate on my main drum buss? hope some of this could help for us the dyn 3 is not tested true but I sure like that expander gate for snares.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:57 PM

To make a long story short..... Try unistalling protools then quicktime and itunes. Then reinstall protools and then install the itunes installer. I found that to be the solution after many hours of research. Let me know if it worked for you.

Also it's not a plugin problem because in the midst of me trying to find a solution I took all my plugs out of the plugin folder. Still had the same problem
Old 04-14-2006, 04:25 PM

I had this problem when using PTLE 6.7, and I had some demos of Elemental Audio installed. After I removed those demos, yihaa, everything was ok then. And when I got PTLE 7, runnin' smooth..

Best wishes,

lover of Tritone Digital plugins
MBox,PTLE7, REAPER, FW1814
Old 04-14-2006, 06:36 PM

ooo finnish, that might be it. i have some of those installed as well. i'll try to remove them.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:22 AM

Things that make you go HMMMMMMM... i had a similar trouble with my old XP 2500+ 6.4 system but when the noise would hit, the system would lock up completely. Had to hit the reset button to get back in. It would happen after lots of punchins. The solution was to put the system on a UPS. I know it sounds odd, but it never did it again after that. APC800va for $120. The nice bonus was a week later I was doing a bounce in front of a paying customer when the power went out. Best $120 I ever spent.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave