Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2023, 08:23 AM

Default Surround botch

Random problem: I'm set up for stereo (M1 mini, S3, Monterrey, Genelec stereo speaker set up) but have been asked to do some 5.1 mixes for Youtube.

Now this is not a super regular thing in my work flow, so I'm looking at extreme low budget options for surround monitoring.

A wild first thought is; can I get a cheap (but compatible) I/O interface with an ADAT pipeline out and a surround soundbar (or possibly home theatre amp with speakers) which has an ADAT pipeline in?

In my head this theory would work, enough for me to monitor vocal clarity in surround mix, etc, and for maybe £500. But I don't want to waste time and money if there's a glaring gape in my cunning plan....

Thoughts to bring down my theory crashing down?
Old 04-26-2023, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Surround botch

ADAT to a soundbar? I’ve never seen a soundbar that takes ADAT input.

If you have £500, I suggest you try to find a used set of speakers, all matching, or at least the front three all matching and a subwoofer. Then use your current L R speakers for surrounds.

You’ll then need to have an interface capable of outputting at lease 6 discreet analog channels. Or a D/A ADAT converter to analog.

Then you’ll need to ideally measure and tune your room appropriately.

Most home theater amps only decode an encoded Dolby Digital signal. Unless you find one with discreet pre amp channel input pass through, this will not work.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:13 AM

Thank you, any I/O recommendations more than welcome.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:24 AM

Something that is important; what genre?

If you are mixing sci-fi, heavy action, animation; surrounds and sub will be important.
Docs, drama, any dialog driven stuff; you'll almost never use them.

In theory, you could even mix with just LCR monitrs, print a 5.1 and proof it so there's nothing in the surrounds or LFE (not really advising this) but point is, going from Stereo to 5.1 the biggest difference will be your center channel.

So, maybe add another Genelec to match your LR speakers. Then, get anything for the surrounds. Honestly, if they will calibrate to sufficient volume, just about anything will get you by in a pinch. Hi-Fi speakers will do if you happen to have some lying around.

Interface? ... have to know more about your set-up. But your budget is pretty slim if you need sub and interface. But not impossible if used.

kasper
Old 04-26-2023, 01:51 PM

I use a second Mac as a mix proofing workstation, running an HDMI cable Mac to 5.1 hifi receiver.

You can prep your mix in stereo on the Genelecs. Then "explode" it via something like a Yamaha or Denon receiver.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:04 PM

I would be very careful mixing without a center channel if your dlog or VO is going to end up in center channel.

The center channel makes a huge difference in how the mix sounds vs Stereo.

kasper
Old 04-26-2023, 04:12 PM

The easiest option would be, as mentioned, to use a standard consumer reciever and speakers, going hdmi out from the mac mini. The reciever should show up as an interface in Protools (you may have to first configure in audiomidi setup.
Old 04-27-2023, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
The easiest option would be, as mentioned, to use a standard consumer reciever and speakers, going hdmi out from the mac mini. The reciever should show up as an interface in Protools (you may have to first configure in audiomidi setup.
And, just to add to this, remember that you can easily connect a blu ray or media player to a receiver and cross reference your mixes to discs or streaming content....
Old 04-28-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn_1968 View Post
Random problem: I'm set up for stereo (M1 mini, S3, Monterrey, Genelec stereo speaker set up) but have been asked to do some 5.1 mixes for Youtube.

Now this is not a super regular thing in my work flow, so I'm looking at extreme low budget options for surround monitoring.

A wild first thought is; can I get a cheap (but compatible) I/O interface with an ADAT pipeline out and a surround soundbar (or possibly home theatre amp with speakers) which has an ADAT pipeline in?

In my head this theory would work, enough for me to monitor vocal clarity in surround mix, etc, and for maybe £500. But I don't want to waste time and money if there's a glaring gape in my cunning plan....

Thoughts to bring down my theory crashing down?
You're confusing ADAT with TOSLINK. Optical S/PDIF is carried over TOSLINK and uses the same connector, but is definitely not ADAT. It can carry a 5.1 signal encoded as AC-3 or DTS, or uncompressed stereo, but that's it.