Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2003, 07:59 PM

Default Help needed,,,,

Thanks for taking your time to read this post!!

I have been making hip hop beats for over 5 years now with just a Korg Triton and a pair of monitors. It just so happens that I got blessed with some very artistic rappers, but I cant lay a song down on the Triton... so I went out and got me PT LE 6.1. I have no experence at all with all this.. All I know how to do is make a beat.. BUT I really want to know all the steps that are taken, so i can start making descent recordings. Im hearing all this stuff about sub mixes and final mixes and all sorts of stuff.. It's a bit overwhelming but hey' so was the Korg Triton! So if anyone can help me understand all these steps or give me some names of books to read or anything it'll mean so much to me.. Thank You Again
OWC Mercury Elite 120GB Hard Drive
M-Box PT 6.1.2
Korg Triton
MidiSport 1x1
Event TR8 Powered Monitors
Old 08-26-2003, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Help needed,,,,

Man, if you're hoping for someone to give you all the pointers right here. . . . you're asking a LOT! The good news is that your not out of luck. My advice would be to get the "Recording With Pro Tools" book, at least I believe that's the name. I've read quite a few favorable reports about it right here on the DUC. So try a search for that.

Make sure you understand the "Getting Started" booklet that came with your unit. I'm assuming, of course, that you got one of these. I own a 001, and am only familiar with what I received. Next, get used to figuring out signal flow. All you really have to do is learn one of each - midi, AUX, audio, and Master faders. Every other one of the same type is . . . . well, the same. So don't let a bunch of faders daunt you.

The other stuff comes with practice, and a lot of hard work - coupled with a lot of mistakes. It's almost a labor of love. If you don't love it, you'll damn sure learn to hate it! Oh yeah, and don't forget to read as many posts here as you can. There are some very talented/knowledgeable individuals on the DUC, and so many of them ready to help. Good luck.

http://www.gidakdigital.com
Old 08-26-2003, 07:51 PM

I think that the book referred to in the above post might be "Producing in the home studio with Pro Tools" by David Franz. It's the book they gave us at school for our Pro Tools class. It ran 35 dollars and it's a really good book. It doesn't talk to you like you're stupid, but it doesn't go over your head either. Good tips on Pro Tools, producing and engineering in general. It also has an interactive CD ROM. I would check it out if you're just getting started and really have no other base to go on. Also, keep reading this forum and don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of the people on the forum are really nice and eager to help. That's what it's here for. Good luck!!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:13 PM

It takes a while to get it down but you can learn fast if you put in the time.
Recording like everything else is so subjective anyway. Everybody does things different too.
I would buy the book Producing in the home studio. Make sure you get the 2nd addition
Also if you take the time to read all the stuff on this site you will learn a lot.
Try to read at least one magazine too, EQ, Eltronic Musician, Recording. Pick the one that best fits you style the best.
I have learned thru lots of trial and error which is still the best way in my book.

Good Luck

Jimi