Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2001, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Anyone using TC Helicon Voiceprism ?

Thinking about the mic preamp noise, what if we feed into the Helicon a line level signal (for example a vocal track recorded in ProTools) ? Maybe we'll need the digital i/o (don't know if it has a line input) but at least we can bypass the mic preamp.
Also waiting for some more infos about using VP9000 (which is much more expensive than the TC !) for harmonies: as far as I know it works on sampled material, so you have to sample everything before harmonizing ?
Old 07-25-2001, 06:02 AM

The VP9000 is a sampler in the bottom but with many nice and unusual features for being one. To make harmonies you have to sample the voice but's that no problem since it reads .wav files and has digitial ins and outs. Then you'll let the VP9000 analyse the lead. After that it's possible to change pitch, formant and timestretching in real time! The quality is excellent. Since it's a 6 voice sampler you'll be able to make 5 harmonies at once. Another cool feature is if you put it into mono legato mode you can actually change the melody of the original lead in real time just by playing different notes. You also have a mode where it triggers in the middle of the sample if you only wan't harmonies on a certain word.

These were just a few of the things you can do with it.....I agree that it's quite expensive but I bought mine used with 136 MB ram for about $1100.

-Robert

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Robert U ]
Old 07-26-2001, 03:14 AM

Thank you Robert for your help. Actually I found an ex demo for about 2,000 US $. As far as I understand the only thing you cannot do is having the machine generating harmonies while you're singing live, but that is not my priority. Is it possible to change via MIDI some of the notes of the harmonies ? Or making the machine work on a selected key ?
Old 07-26-2001, 05:21 AM

Yes it is possible to change harmonies via midi. It also has a "robot" function wich means that it can take a voice that is sung over different notes and then play it back on the same note. For example if the lead goes C# F# A F# it can play it back on C# C# C# C# if it's C# you're holding down. You are able to change the notes just by altering on a midi keyboard.

You can not set it to a certain key like an ordinary harmonizer.

-Robert