Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2001, 12:55 AM

Default Suggestions for Pro Tools system

OK here is my situation. I have a Trident console and a 2 inch otari analog deck. I have a Mac G4 450 I also have the MOTU 2408 system which is cheap and it sucks. I need a protools system to be compatible with other studios in my area, also because I need a system that is more stable that the 2408. I need to be able to fly 24 tracks between my analog system and my protools system. I will be using my analog desk to mix and I will be recording my main 2 mix directly to protools either from the 2 inch or from pro tools itself.
I really don't need to rely on plug ins except for the occasional distortion or ring mod effect but for the most part I use external eq, reverb and compression. Most of my plug in use will be during mastering.
I really can't afford to by a brand new mix system at this time. What would be the best and most cost effective ProTools system that would work for my situation?
Is there any way I could get by on the Digi 001?
What about an older D24 system with a 888/24 and the 20 bit 16 channel digi box (16/20 I think)?
Is there a way I could use an adat bridge and a couple 2408's via light pipe as a cheap interface?
I know this might sound rinky dink but I need to get into PT but I can't afford 7k for 24 channels of interfaces
thanks
Electrok
Old 07-23-2001, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Suggestions for Pro Tools system

My two pennyworth .....

Go for a second-hand D24 system over the Digi001 for the following reasons:

The digi001 only has 18 outs and they are mixed format - 8 analogue, 8 adat and 2 sp/dif - so this will not meet your spec, and you'll have to convert some/all of the signals.

If you are playing 24 tracks out of the LE software - this is the limit of the software, so you would have no more tracks with which you could record the mix.

with the D24 you can run 32 tracks, plus with 5.1 of the s/w you can run RTAS and TDM plugins (and therefore dodge some of the extremely limited DSP problems), and you will have access to the full range of plugins, should you or a client have a particular need. Bit of a pain if a client MUST have (for instance) the focusrite d2 plugin.

With the D24 system, if at a later date you choose to use more plugins you can buy a mix farm card (about $2000-$2500 second hand) and get a much more powerful system, with the Digi001 that's it, apart from processor upgrades to your Mac (ie buying a new Mac) and these upgrades will not yield such a dramatic increase.

Second-hand D24 systems are pretty cheap at the moment.

Hope this helps - sorry don't know about the interface questions.

cheers

Pete
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2001, 09:01 AM

A word of caution gentlemen..The only real way to ensure timeing (sample accurate) between tracks is to transfer all 24 tracks at once. Transferring 8 at a time (with SMPTE) will not be sample accurate (if that matters to you)....And a D24 card will only allow 2 *888's for 16 tracks if your lucky...More DSP is required Just to drive more outputs... You would need at least an additional Vintage DSP card to drive the 3rd 888....Just my thoughts....Cheers...
Old 07-23-2001, 09:29 AM

TommyT
this is exactly the kind of stuff I need to know. I'm thinking the least expensive way out right now would be to get 2 882/20s or an ADAT bridge and use my 2408s and then for the third 8 channels an 888/24. I want to avoid dumping 8 tracks at a time . I think I'll have to go with a D24 for this system. Can I use a D24, the farm card it comes with and a mix farm card to get 24 channels in / out and have a little left over for a couple plug ins?
By the time I buy a D24, an extra farm card and an external PCI expansion box would I be better off just to get MIX?
My other option is to get the 001 and use one of my 2408s through the adat in only 18 but at least I can start getting some low level PT work and then eventually step up to a pro system. I'd just have to hold off on the 24 channel dump feature for a while. I would have to load 8 channels in, edit and then fly back to the 24 track for mix.
thanks
Electrok
Old 07-23-2001, 11:39 AM

I would go with a Mix system. I had a D24 system and it had a real hard time getting up to 24 tracks a lot of the time, especially when running plugins. You could use 1 1622 interface and 1 882/20, but I don't think you'll like the sound.

I'd go with 3X888's ...

Dan Roth
Otitis Media
Old 07-25-2001, 02:03 AM

Ok I've done a bit or research and I am going to wait to get into a TDM system. Would I be able to run 24 channels if I got a D24 card and two farm cards? also what are the possibilities of getting a system like this and using 16 bit interfaces until I get the funds to buy 2 888/24's?
thanks
Old 07-25-2001, 07:19 AM

Yes and yes. I would imagine that even a stock d24/Farm system would run 24 tracks if you're using it as a transport. When you start bussing and using plugins, then you start to eat the limited DSP of that setup.

The 16-bit interfaces will work, I think you could even run sessions at 24-bit, using the 24-bit mixer with the 16-bit converters. That would be the way I went, since you'll have those extra 8-bits of headroom.

Dan Roth
Otitis Media
Old 07-25-2001, 07:55 AM

don't forget you can also buy a mix i/o farm which is a dirt cheap $795 and will add another 16 channels of i/o and the dsp to route it (but not run plugins).
Old 07-25-2001, 11:24 AM

So in reality I could get a D24 system which comes with the D24 and one farm card and add to this a mix in out. if I ran little or no plug ins this would give me a reliable 24 tracks in and out?
thanks
electrok
Old 07-25-2001, 04:44 PM

as far as I understand it - yes, but I'd get Digi to confirm this before you shell out.

Good luck

Pete