Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2011, 12:21 AM

Default Problems Re-amping with Eleven Rack - PT Aggregate IO

Hey there. I'm fairly new to the forum & this is my first post. I'm just wondering if someone out there might be able to give some advise on this issue I'm having trying to re-amp using Eleven Rack. I'm going to try explain in detail my situation, so forgive me if I go on too much.

Note: I am new to Pro Tools & I just got the Eleven Rack, but I've read the manual & watched the videos (at least the ones that I can find), but nothing that I've seen really pertains to the problem I'm having because of the use of third party interfaces thrown into the equation.

I understand & know how to setup the Eleven Rack itself for re-amping (traditional re-amping style - output to amp 1 left to amp head, mic'd cab, etc.). I chose the track in PT to be re-amped, created a new audio track & assigned it's input to be the mic'd cab - record enabled. In the Eleven Rack Control Window, I have the Rig input set to Re-amp. The problem is that there is no option to or from the Eleven Rack itself in my output to amp selectors (Ex: Eleven Rack re-amp L). So as of yet I can get no signal out of output to amp 1. Maybe I'm routing something wrong in the 11R control window incorrectly?

For my setup, I basically use PT as my tape machine, analog style (outboard pres to interface, out of interface to 56-channel analog desk - matching PT channel to desk channel with PT levels set to unity gain, doing the mixing at the desk). I am running PT9 - Native (Mac Quad Core- Snow Leopard v10.6.3, 16 GB RAM) with a MOTU 24i/o, 2-2408's (one just used for the outs only), & a new Eleven Rack. I have my I/O in PT set to Pro Tools Aggregate I/O for the use of multiple interfaces. That's where my problem comes in. When I go to view the output mapping in the setup>I/O menu, it doesn't differentiate between the interfaces other than the path labels that I've made for the MOTUs ins & outs. I can see all of the available analog outputs, including the so far unassigned analog output options in the chain which I'm assuming belong to the Eleven Rack (all the MOTU's paths are labeled & assigned). The problem is that none of those unassigned outputs are label specifically to Eleven Rack. I can switch the hardware option to Eleven Rack, but then I loose all of my routing options from the MOTU outs patched into the desk, making me have to build the mix ITB defeating the purpose of my setup (where I currently have mixes already built).

Please help. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. BTW, Sorry for the long OCD post. I just wanted to explain everything clearly. I hope it's understandable. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Problems Re-amping with Eleven Rack - PT Aggregate IO

Not sure if this would work but;
Try leaving hardware option as is but set playback engine option to eleven rack, click 'Default' I/O then manually assign the analog I/O paths around 11R default settings. Then export settings so they are saved on computer for recall if needed.

I'm shooting blind here as I only use proprietary hardware so I'm not even sure if Hardware & playback engine can be set separately.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 AM

Ok just tried setting Hardware & Playback engine separately & they changed together, so that won't work.

Are you able to use S/PDIF to tie Motu & 11R together? That's how I use my 003R & 11R. All I/O's are then available with both interfaces.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 AM

Hey zed. Thanks for the reply. I do have the 11R & one of the 2408's connected via SPDIF, but like I was saying the i/o options still show up for eleven rack in PT aggregate i/o,they're just not labeled as to what they are. I'd like to be able to just automatically utilize those, but something just isn't working. I know it's something that I'm doing wrong, but I'm just not getting it. I've tried creating new paths & labeling them 11r, & selecting the unchecked available analog outputs, which again I'm assuming are the 11r's, but it's not showing up. I'm not sure how to upload it in this forum (or if it's even possible, but I took a screenshot of the of the i/o window in PT last night) to where I can show you a little better what I'm referring too.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 AM

You are making this too complex you should start by not using aggregate I/O. It's not tested or intended to do what you are doing - see this warning.

What you want to do should be straightforward to implement going out a digital (or analog if needed) link on your existing MOTU interface with the rig input in the Eleven Rack set to the corresponding port and output (digital or analog) going back to the interface (or a desk channel in this case?) The basic approach is well described in the Eleven Rack documentation, and in detail in multiple threads here if you have problems.

Darryl
Old 05-05-2011, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I'll go that route. I appreciate it