Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2023, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Avid Link updated... PT 2023.9 on its way?

So stupid. Just more work for CS providing download links to customers...
Old 09-11-2023, 03:00 AM

After some further digging, it seems... well... still equal parts concerning, but at least it isn't malicious.

MC 2023.8 included some hefty changes to its AI-based processes. Part of it involved ending a partnership with NICE, an AI company. With the conclusion of the partnership, Avid have had to pull all of the installers containing the NICE Nexidia algorithms.

In addition to Mc 2023.8 being available online, Avid are also updating the last two 'LTM' long term maintenance releases, which I assume are the two most stable releases of the last 12-18 months, to remove the NICE intellectual property.

I don't think there will be any links provided to any customers. It sounds more like a contractual loophole/shortcoming that has required Avid to cease distributing any of its software containing NICE I.P.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
After some further digging, it seems... well... still equal parts concerning, but at least it isn't malicious.

MC 2023.8 included some hefty changes to its AI-based processes. Part of it involved ending a partnership with NICE, an AI company. With the conclusion of the partnership, Avid have had to pull all of the installers containing the NICE Nexidia algorithms.

In addition to Mc 2023.8 being available online, Avid are also updating the last two 'LTM' long term maintenance releases, which I assume are the two most stable releases of the last 12-18 months, to remove the NICE intellectual property.

I don't think there will be any links provided to any customers. It sounds more like a contractual loophole/shortcoming that has required Avid to cease distributing any of its software containing NICE I.P.
This should dispel the conspiracy speculation.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:09 AM
Development Partner

It's always a good idea to keep as many installers as you can for whatever software you might be using. Of course there's the possibility a vendor may no longer provide older installers (as Avid is doing with MC). But you could also run into situations where you have to rebuild or downgrade a system and reinstall software. Having installers close at hand will likely be a lot quicker than downloading them.

PS - all that aside, this is an interesting change of procedure for Media Composer. Wouldn't be too surprising to see it come along for PT.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:44 AM

Why not just post older archive installers for users like Apple does or other sites? Seems reasonable to do. I have been on PT since 1992. While I have a few installers, I am not in the habit of saving them all the time.
I may HAVE BEEN confused by M Carnes comment about keeping older installers, but maybe I read that wrong in context.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 09-11-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:56 AM

Avid has this thing called Avid Download Center, accessible from your Avid Account. I am stunned if they plan to take it away.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Avid has this thing called Avid Download Center, accessible from your Avid Account. I am stunned if they plan to take it away.
Sure, I was just confused by M Carnes comment about keeping older installers, but maybe I read that wrong in context.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 09-11-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You mean the Avid account that currently has a big yellow warning at the top saying they are removing software from the Avid Download Center?

I'm not stunned by the removal of software from the Download Center. I'm stunned by the fact that Avid never had any plan to actively keep it from Day 1 of their partnership with NICE. We all know Avid have been actively prioritizing software as a service, but this news makes me wonder how many other partnerships Avid has entered into across its range that may lead to software and hardware just being wiped from avid-existence once it concludes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 8.29.50 am.jpg (9.0 KB, 0 views)
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 09-11-2023, 03:58 PM

Ah deeper thinking from the antipodeans... Sure looks like Avid got out too far over their skis with the Nice/Nexidia IP licensing in Media Composer and are being forced to yank this. Pretty embarrassing--I've licensed enough IP at startups, all perfectly normal to structure license deals/termination clauses to avoid this.

So now realizing this I'm hopeful downloads will be left alone for Pro Tools. And also hope to see the new release with some attention on bug fixes as well as all the new Sketch etc. features.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
You mean the Avid account that currently has a big yellow warning at the top saying they are removing software from the Avid Download Center?

I'm not stunned by the removal of software from the Download Center. I'm stunned by the fact that Avid never had any plan to actively keep it from Day 1 of their partnership with NICE. We all know Avid have been actively prioritizing software as a service, but this news makes me wonder how many other partnerships Avid has entered into across its range that may lead to software and hardware just being wiped from avid-existence once it concludes.
I am still holding out hope for them to allow us to Hide somethings (reversible). I really don't need to keep seeing the serials etc for my licenses of Pro Tools 7,8,9,10, etc...

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro