Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2023, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Plugins compatible with Apple Silicon natively

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins View Post
I'm almost certain that it will come with a cost. They have already said that Altiverb 7 will not be updated with silicon support. There will be a brand new version. I highly doubt it will be free to existing customers. I bet it will be good though.

Stein Tore
The real question for me is whether the new version (Altiverb 8?) will open instances of Altiverb 7 in existing sessions. If not, and they don't release a compatibility port of Altiverb 7 for Apple Silicon, they will be leaving users with no way to open old sessions without a legacy system. Rosetta compatibility will not be around forever. This will spell the end of Audio Ease use for me, if this is the case.
Old 08-25-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
The real question for me is whether the new version (Altiverb 8?) will open instances of Altiverb 7 in existing sessions. If not, and they don't release a compatibility port of Altiverb 7 for Apple Silicon, they will be leaving users with no way to open old sessions without a legacy system. Rosetta compatibility will not be around forever. This will spell the end of Audio Ease use for me, if this is the case.
Great question. I'd be steamed if they didn't. Kontakt users are very familiar with this -- a new version comes out and simply because they've changed the name of the plugin the old instance won't open in the new version. There's no bridge to past sessions. We have to keep the old version around just for this reason, but of course that eventually loses compatibility as they cease updating.

Fingers crossed that Altiberb accommodates for this.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:11 AM

To be fair, Altiverb 7 came out in 2015 and updates were free so far. Altiverb 8 will feature IRs for Atmos, they said this in a podcast. Still, I think they are a bit slow, so many reverbs for Atmos came out for half the price of Altiverb XL. And backwards compatibility certainly is a valid point.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:21 AM

Not to date myself, but I remember using Altiverb 4. I just looked at approximate release dates:

Altiverb 5 - April 2005
Altiverb 6 - Jan 2007
Altiverb 7 - December 2012

So ver4 was current for about 3 years, ver5 2 years, ver6 6 years.

Version 7 is reaching 13 years old. Grandpa geriatric reverb!! No wonder more recent reverbs sound much better and are much more adept than Altiverb. I believe there are inherent limitations to IR based reverb engines in this day an age. Particularly for 7.0.2 and greater channel configurations.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidub View Post
I believe there are inherent limitations to IR based reverb engines in this day an age. Particularly for 7.0.2 and greater channel configurations.
Not really. Ambisonic recorded IRs have been a thing for a while. Vienna Symphonic's MIR reverb, Inspired Acoustics Inspirata reverb, and even AudioEase's Indoor all use them.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:49 AM

Not to get you guys too excited, but the Exponential Audio plugins might be happening!

The version number is the old version but the date is now Aug 2023. Up until today, it showed Sept 2022 (yes, I've been checking practically every day.)
Also the release notes aren't opening so they may be updating the website with new assets.

(I should note, I did try downloading and the installers that download still aren't AAX Arm native)
Old 08-29-2023, 12:15 PM

Interesting. Perhaps they wait for next PT release...
Old 08-29-2023, 12:47 PM

Not to burst any bubbles (as I really hope the EA verbs get updated yesterday), but it looks like a ton of the plugs on the download page all show August 9th now, and all have broken release notes.

So either a bunch of them are getting updated all at once, or this is a casualty of transitioning over to Native Instruments servers (noticed a new login window).
Old 08-29-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSloth View Post
Not to burst any bubbles (as I really hope the EA verbs get updated yesterday), but it looks like a ton of the plugs on the download page all show August 9th now, and all have broken release notes.

So either a bunch of them are getting updated all at once, or this is a casualty of transitioning over to Native Instruments servers (noticed a new login window).
I am sad now.
I noticed the NI servers involved but I also saw a bunch of plugins with their original dates.
Old 08-29-2023, 01:41 PM

Thank you Francisco Partners, financial geniuses ¯\_(ツ)_/¯