Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2023, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Always having to force quit Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Eichelberg View Post
I experience the same behavior - work all day on a session, then Pro Tools will hang when I try to quit.

I'm on a late 2019 Xeon/Intel Mac Pro - so it's not just the Apple Silicon users affected.
I too experience PT hanging when trying to quit which results in having to Force Quit. PT Ultimate 2023.3 running in Rosetta , Apple Studio M1 Max, Monterey 12.6.5. I agree that it almost always happens after a full day of work rather than a quick session.
Old 06-29-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansoundmix View Post
I too experience PT hanging when trying to quit which results in having to Force Quit. PT Ultimate 2023.3 running in Rosetta , Apple Studio M1 Max, Monterey 12.6.5. I agree that it almost always happens after a full day of work rather than a quick session.
Happening to me fairly regularly with essentially that exact same config.

I can’t say I’ve noticed a pattern.
It happened to me yesterday after only having PT open for about 2 hours.

I’m just getting used to it as the new normal.
Which is, of course, a bit ridiculous.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:37 AM

I am still having this happen intermittently (around 50% of Pro Tools - quits) since I reported it in this thread in mid February on my MBP Max M1, MacOS 12.6.7, PT 2023.6 system.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:45 AM

Same here, when I close PT, I get the "PT Closed Unexpectedly" or some silly nonsense. I can ignore, retry.

I've had this issue for a while. I delete prefs and it goes away, but it must be important, because it come back. :)
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 06-29-2023, 10:32 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansoundmix View Post
Hey Dan,

I created a case on this for you and have assigned it to tech. case 04647081 and hopefully between the 7 pages of comments they can figure this one out.

marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 07-08-2023, 01:52 AM

Acknowledging that I don't have an approved configuration (Pro Tools 2023.06 on a 2010 Mac Pro running OS 12.6.7), I have found that no matter whether I start PT with only the stock plugins and then immediately quit, or run for several days with all the third-party plugins too, I always have to force quit when it's time to quit PT.

However, if I change playback engines and PT has to quit to work with the new engine, it quits fine.

Murray

Murray Anderson
Milestone Studios
21 Bloem Street
Cape Town 8001
South Africa
https://www.milestones.co.za
Tel: +27 (0)21-424 6000
Old 07-08-2023, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown View Post
Acknowledging that I don't have an approved configuration (Pro Tools 2023.06 on a 2010 Mac Pro running OS 12.6.7), I have found that no matter whether I start PT with only the stock plugins and then immediately quit, or run for several days with all the third-party plugins too, I always have to force quit when it's time to quit PT.

However, if I change playback engines and PT has to quit to work with the new engine, it quits fine.
That’s an interesting observation. I’ll try that. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown View Post

Yes!

I was just going to post this as well. I have the same issue as most here. I have to force quit at the end of the day. I can reopen that session after force quitting and it will quit normally. It happens over time and this issue started creeping in a couple of weeks ago. I'm on a 2018-2020 mac mini running 10.15.7. I upgraded protools from 2022.10 to 2023.6.0 to see if that would help. No difference. Yesterday I tried an experiment. At the end of the day, AFTER closing the session and before quitting protools, I switched the playback engine to "Mac Mini Speakers". Then when quitting protools, it quit normally. Hopefully others can try this and see if it works on their systems. Maybe it helps AVID to pinpoint the issue.

Protools 2023.6
Old 07-08-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Costa View Post
Yes!

I was just going to post this as well. I have the same issue as most here. I have to force quit at the end of the day. I can reopen that session after force quitting and it will quit normally. It happens over time and this issue started creeping in a couple of weeks ago. I'm on a 2018-2020 mac mini running 10.15.7. I upgraded protools from 2022.10 to 2023.6.0 to see if that would help. No difference. Yesterday I tried an experiment. At the end of the day, AFTER closing the session and before quitting protools, I switched the playback engine to "Mac Mini Speakers". Then when quitting protools, it quit normally. Hopefully others can try this and see if it works on their systems. Maybe it helps AVID to pinpoint the issue.
Ugh. Well, it let me quit normally twice with this method after having to force quit all week. Now I STILL had to force quit this evening after switching the playback engine. Oh well.

Protools 2023.6
Old 07-13-2023, 12:29 PM

Same problem. MacStudio M1, Monterey, PT2023.6 in Rosetta. Not always, but 80% of the time "closing session" hangs.