How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2020, 07:26 AM

Default Video Scripts for Pro Tools on Catalina

Hello,

I work in audio post and have recently upgraded to Catalina. Even though Pro Tools “supports” Catalina, it lost the ability to Bounce to QuickTime and also to import the audio from videos. To help fill the void from these (hopefully interim) lost features, I made a few mini script apps and figured I’d post them here in case anyone else thought they were helpful. I know these tasks can be accomplished in other apps like Subler/Compressor/etc, but I wanted something faster and free-er.

Also, if you know a smarter/faster way to skin this cat - please let me know!

Download Here

Caveats:

1.These have only been tested with mono and stereo.
2. Because of the particular use case, these have only been tested with audio and video files of the same length. For example, muxing a sixty second .mov and a sixty second .wav. Anything else...who knows.
2. I can verify these are working on my system using macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (the highest version supported by Pro Tools at time of posting)
3. Comes without any warranty and your results may very.

Pre-requisites:
1. FFmpeg is required for the apps to work. I have included some instructions to install FFmpeg via the Brew package manager, or you can download and install FFmpeg from the official FFmpeg site. If you already have FFmpeg installed you don't need to do this.

The Tools:

MOV+WAV Mux
This will merge a QuickTime movie file (.mov) with a WAV file, not changing or transcoding the files in any way (passthru). It will create a new file, leaving your source files untouched.

MP4+WAV Merge
This will merge an MPEG-4 video file (.mp4) with a WAV file. The WAV file is transcoded to a 192kb/s CBR AAC (WAV/PCM cannot be in an mp4). It will create a new file, leaving your source files untouched.

Extract Audio Droplet
This will extract the audio from a video, as a WAV file (PCM signed 32-bit little-endian @ 96khz) to the same location as the source file and with the same title. While these default quality settings will likely yield higher file sizes than necessary for most, this ensures that it can losslessly capture source files with higher quality audio embedded.