Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 02:38 PM

Default Object Grabber acting strange in 7.4cs3

I'm getting strange results when using the object grabber on grouped tracks. It might be easier to make a video of this, but here's a way to easily reproduce it.

Group 8 tracks and record some audio, ie, drum kit.
Ungroup the tracks and delete sections of audio from some of the tracks here and there, ie, as if you edited sections where you didn't want the room mics or overheads or whatever. Or just test this on some real material.
Regroup the tracks
Choose the object grabber and drag across different regions in the group or click to select different regions in the group.

Result: When group is on for the tracks, dragging across regions with the grabber selects across the entire group. Ok, I'm not sure if that's correct behavior or not...I seem to always remember the object grabber ignoring groups...but in any event, keep selecting different regions and notice that sometimes when dragging across regions, the object grabber will NOT select other regions in the group. It's just totally inconsistent. ie, if you had kick, snr, hat, toms LR, OH LR, Room LR, and various edits throughout, and you're selecting regions on the unedited OH LR tracks with group for all drums turned on, sometimes the grabber will select other regions in the group for that section of time, and sometimes it won't. It's just random.

Am I crazy, or isn't the object grabber supposed to ignore groups? I seem to remember it that way, because this behavior now is so odd. Either way, I'm sure it isn't supposed to be doing this.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Object Grabber acting strange in 7.4cs3

Anybody else seeing this? Digidesign, any thoughts? It's 100% reproducible and makes the object grabber more or less unusable on grouped tracks. Seems like an issue that should be addressed.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Ok, another attempt to hone in on this and demonstrate the problem:

Chop up two tracks of audio with various edits in different places on each track, and a couple of edits that are in the same place.

Group the tracks.

Use the object grabber to select regions on the first track by dragging from an empty spot in front of the regions (so you start with the little crosshair) and drag across the regions on that track.

Result: Regions on the other track in the group are selected wherever an edit aligns with a region on the track you are selecting. It's just a rather random behavior that drives me crazy and serves no useful purpose.

The problem is when I'm editing a big complicated session, and I've got grouped tracks that aren't right next to each other, the object grabber intuitively conveys to me that I am only selecting those regions that I am dragging the cursor across. Now, if it's drums that are all edited in the same place across all the tracks, it's obvious when all the regions on the other tracks start getting selected that I've got a group turned on and I need to turn it off before proceeding with the selection. But when it's tracks that don't have identical edits, and I make an object grabber selection on one track and don't see regions on any other tracks getting selected, then I hit mute or delete or whatever I'm doing, and wham -- I've just affected a region on another track unintentionally.

It's just a stupid "gotcha" behavior with the object grabber and I wish it wasn't so.

I don't think the object grabber should follow groups. But whether anyone agrees with that or not, I don't remember it always behaving this way, where it only selects regions where edits align. It seems like a new behavior and it seems like a bug. I think this is worthy of some consideration by Digidesign.

The object grabber should either:

A) Follow groups consistently and select regions on other tracks regardless of whether the edits align

or

B) Not follow groups (my preference)

Can I get an amen?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:22 PM

Among the 6 billion people on this planet, I am the only soul who cares about this bug in Pro Tools.

I feel so special.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:39 PM

Default Object Grabber acting strange in earlier versions too...

Yes, I feel your pain. I actually posted about this before. It seems to coincide with another bug with the Grabber (not Object) where, if you shift-click a bunch of regions, and then try to drag them, only the region you grab to drag comes with you. I find that if you are in a session with one of the behaviors, you've got both. And creating a new session doesn't solve it.

I am still in PT 7.3.1, and have been seeing this behavior for a while, so it goes back a bit.

In case you haven't noticed, these 2 bugs can make the ENTIRE GRABBER TOOL BROKEN! Not that it is very important...

GAHH!