Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Opinion or good advice from you guys..

So I'm am a music guy that accidentally floated into the post world. Read few good books, applied the "theory" i already knew and then just plain worked hard. Coming from an intern/asst POV I wanted to learn under an experienced designer/mixer but everytime I try and go for an internship, I get the "you're too qualified" response...Anyway-since I've managed to make it work so far-I was wondering if there was a way to get a professional/unbiased opinion of what i'm doing and what I need to work on. (any advice would totally be appreciated as well). Maybe I could send a clip to someone? Have someone check out what's on my website and give comments?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:06 AM

I had this reel after college. It was pretty good. All my friends thought it was going to get me a job. I did too. ------

Nope. Nobody cared. The only thing that got me going was being a runner and meeting people. Near-minimum wage, long hours, occasionally abusive superiors, only time on equipment being after-hours if you're lucky.... From there, you work hard, keep your ears open, and maneuver.

Lots of us would be happy to critique your clip if you post it on an ftp and give a link. We might be able to give some generally good insights as to technique. There are some here that may even take a chance and hire you. Worth a shot. That said, your best bet is just moving to LA and looking for a job in a studio doing whatever you can (I didn't see your location in your profile). Study up on things like video codecs, pullups and pulldowns (all varieties and definitions), frame rates, conforming, complex automation techniques, etc. Be humble, be nice, be on time, be smart, oh yeah, and be fearless too.

ETA - read your post again, and you're probably further along than I initially realized. Sure, put up a link to your clip! Let's see it.

Good luck,
S.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:13 AM

Its weird how one stumbles into the world of post. But the learning curve is amazing, you have less time to actualy do something compared to music which makes you trust your instincts.. thats important!!!

I started out on a low budget TV series, stupid airing time and so forth, and after doing that for about 3 years I'm now sitting with about 2000 TV credits to my name and as of late 2 highly rated prime time slots!! you never know whose watching and taking note.

http://www.cmproductions.co.za
Old 07-25-2008, 05:15 AM

p.s post the link to an ftp with your work. will have a listen.

http://www.cmproductions.co.za
Old 07-27-2008, 10:47 PM

Appreciate your time so far.. I'm uploading a few newer clips rights now but there are quite a few older ones on my website www.creativemixing.com

Once the new ones are up I'll send a shout.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:18 AM

new ones are up on my iDisk public folder--you can reach it via my website or your finder
Old 07-28-2008, 01:01 AM

Couldn't get into your public folder for some reason. Would it be possible for you to edit the moments you're most proud of together rather than have everyone watch ten different clips? That way, your presentation will be stronger, and folks will have a better idea of where you're coming from creatively. The Lonely Hearts thing is a good credit, but you need to capitalize on your strengths with your presentation.

Your skills are obviously good.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 AM

Yeah, you should just make a standard reel i.e. one short video with the stuff you're most proud of.

Check out my site/reel. www.lunapier.org
Old 07-28-2008, 10:31 AM

Your "public folder" is password protected.... One could login from the finder if you gave us your account name and it might just be me but after 5 min none of your film clips had loaded. Maybe because it's trying to load all at once?? Don't know but I'm on a pretty fast DSL line and all I got were a bunch of QT logos with no loading indication. You might want to have a list of the clips that link to the clips so they are not all trying to load once someone hits the page. I figure you only get a minute or so of "non activity" before pretty much everyone will move on. So anything that would get you clips to load faster or give some indication that they were loading would be a big plus.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:36 PM

Sorry for the hassle--my site loads super slow
Editing a "reel" together tonight once I have it together I'll post again

again, thanks for your time & support