Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2003, 06:08 AM

Default Problems On 6.1 XP

Anyone having problems on 6.1 windows XP for TDM.
Let's here it.I have had a tuff time getting it stable.Fresh install all updates from microsoft and intel on mother board.Any key setting in windows XP !

Phil Plaskon [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
p4 2.53
intel 850emvr
512 ram
matrox 450 dual head
40 gig system drive
(2)60gig audio drives
sony dvd burner

www.tenkproductions.com
Old 08-12-2003, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Problems On 6.1 XP

Hi! Details on some problems? Been running strong with 6.1. My HD system is *almost* dedicated ('net access, and some other audio/midi apps installed).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:51 AM

OK got MIX 24 runnning 6.1 in XP...

First problem is probably just me being dense, but 6.1 doesn't seem to save the session workspace, i.e. I always maximise the Edit window and toggle to the Mix window when I need it. Now everytime I re-open a session, the windows are un-docked again...

I also bought the Bomb Factory SansAmp plugin at the weekend, the plugin works fine but the display window for the plugin controls is completely screwed, it's all twisted and distorted with only a couple of knobs visible, so I'm pretty much limited to using the presets at the moment. Bomb Factory say it works OK in 6.0 but Digi have done something to mess it up in 6.1.

I may have issues with saving plug-in settings for the Digirack plugins but I'll investigate further...
Old 08-19-2003, 08:28 AM

The Windows version has been doing this for a long time....
really is not cool....
Old 08-19-2003, 10:41 AM

I ended up uninstalling the 6.1 software and going back to 5.3.1.

I'll wait for the next patch.......
Old 08-19-2003, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I ended up uninstalling the 6.1 software and going back to 5.3.1.

I'll wait for the next patch.......
Why? Just curious...6.1 solid here.

As far as Bomb Factory - certain plugs do have a GUI problem. As 6.1 had *some* new code, BF claims Digis at fault for the gui probs, Digi claims BF needs to fix their plugs. Personally, if I buy a Corvette, get *3rd party* wheels and tires (only avail in one size), and then buy a new model a few years later and the wheels and tires wont fit inside the wheel wells due to Chevy resizing them for the new model, I wouldn't be blaming Chevy for the problems...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:48 PM

You would not be happy if Chevy said the wheels were the same size but they weren't.....

I don't actually care who's at fault as long as someone fixes it. I just spent money on a plugin that works on 5... for Windows and 6.0 for Mac but is screwed for 6.1 on any platform Seems to me Digi could have checked the 3rd Party plugs, crikey it's not like it's difficult to test, and if there are problems they could have given a heads up to Bf to fix their code before 6.1 was released, if indeed it is the BF code that is flakey....

I paid £135 ( == $200 ) for the PT upgrade, I don't expect to be beta-testing for that amount of money....

I just found a thread on the LE Forum, seems they both ( Digi & Bomb Factory ) knew about this in July and are still bickering about whose code is at fault. Who gets screwed? Us, the users...
Old 08-20-2003, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I don't actually care who's at fault as long as someone fixes it. I just spent money on a plugin that works on 5... for Windows and 6.0 for Mac but is screwed for 6.1 on any platform Seems to me Digi could have checked the 3rd Party plugs, crikey it's not like it's difficult to test, and if there are problems they could have given a heads up to Bf to fix their code before 6.1 was released, if indeed it is the BF code that is flakey....
The reality is, unless the BF plugs are distributed by Digidesign with 6.1 or are offered it in the DigiStore, they have no obligation to test 3rd party software. And even if Digidesign made changes to there GUI, all manufacturers put a legal clause in their licensing agreement (which EVERYBODY has to agree to before installing software) "Features and Specifications are subject to change without notice." So, despite what others may think, Bombfactory has the responsibility to make the appropriate changes in their software to make it compatible with Digidesign, not the other way around.

However, if you would like the process sped up, I suggest you contact the President of Bombfactory, Erik Gavriluk with your grievance.

Good Luck!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:46 AM

All your points are perfectly valid, I write software for a living and am familiar with these issues and constraints.

But hey wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where people did stuff because it was the right thing to do, not because they were obligated to. Digidesign use the term Development Partners to describe the people who write plug-ins etc. Indeed they have a pretty good symbiotic relationship, 3rd party plug-ins add a lot of value to the basic product. So, in a situation like this, surely they should look at the problem together, work out the most cost-effective and timely solution, and split the costs involved or something.

I think Protools is a fantastic product, I wouldn't be here if I didn't, but this situation where Digi & Bomb Factory are both insisting that it is the other guys problem doesn't actually help me! I just spent $400 on two bits of software that should work together but don't. It would just be good if the two parties involved could both be BIG about it and sort it out.

Old 08-20-2003, 01:15 PM

Everytime I'm ready to buy some of BF's plugs, something like this comes up to make me reconsider.

If you go to the BF website, Erik makes it sound like there's a fix available.

What a pain in the *****.

take care,

dave