Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2001, 06:25 AM

Default Need your Expertise

Hello everybody........I'm trying to build a home studio....I just got a G4 and a Digi001......I'm wondering what other componets I should or could add to get the most out of my studio......Please give me any suggestions that you might have...........
Old 10-05-2001, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Need your Expertise

It all depends in what kind of stuff you are going to do. Instrumental? Rock? Electronic? Hip/hop?

You have to be a little bit more specific.....

-Robert
Old 10-08-2001, 02:19 AM

Hi
You do need to be a bit more specific but you will almost certainly need a good pair of monitors, preferably on stands or mounted in some way, and a midi keyboard. If you need a synth I would suggest getting one with a decent keyboard (weighted keys preferably) and using that as your master keyboard. (If you will only ever record audio you wont need a midi keyboard)
Good luck
Jack
Old 10-08-2001, 05:24 AM

I'm sorry for being so vague....I'm doing more urban types of music.....HIP HOP, R & B, DRUM & BASS......that type of stuff mainly but I would kinda like to be able to do genre.........I hope this gives you more info to help me..........

Thank you
Old 10-08-2001, 05:38 AM

mmm...
Digi001 and G4 is simply "smart" multi-tracker. from here you should think like a studio... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Studio Hardware:
- Mixer/Console with DirectOuts.
Would help for preamp 8channels from example and you can use it to mix up synths and other equipment without running protools (DAT/ADAT/CD/MD/Etc...).
- Microphones: The better mic the better your result.
- Dedicated pre-amps, Focusrite or any tube-based good preamp to warm it a little.
- Power Amp. for Monitor Speakers
- Monitor Speakers. (Nearfield...)
- External Effects:
Reverbs, Compressors, etc...
- Optional: Additional ADAT A/D to get 8 more channels (Digi001 8analog + addtl. 8ADATs). can also be acheived using digital mixer with ADAT I/F.

Electronic/Addtl. Studio Equipment:
- Analog Synths
- Tone Generators
- Samplers
- Synths.

Wiring:
- Cables, Patchbays, anything to make it better.

Acoustics: The better acoustics (and if you have sepearate recording room [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] the better you can get)...

Computer Additional:

Hardware:
CD-R(W) / DVD-R(W) : CD-R is an important tool in the digital studio for archiving/writing master cd or sketch of a project/session.
Since DVD drives become common a DVD-R is a greater tool for archiving a project (instead archiving the project on 3 CDs archive 2 projects on one DVD [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

Addtl. Display : The old protoolers dream: Mix & Edit own Displays.

Mixing Controller (All those mixer like controller that enables you to write automation as you were using a true mixer...).

Software:
- Masterlist? (For CD-Ring) Toast?
- Plugins: Waves, TCs, ReverbOne, Bombfactory, you're on mac enjoy the variety of plugins.
- Software Synths:
Rebirth, All others I cannot remember the name. again you're on mac, you have DirectConnect so again, ENJOY!.

Well that's all I can sum up.
But that's pretty it for a well-fund home-studio.
Old 10-08-2001, 06:02 AM

thanks a lot.....that was more than enough help....now I just need to decide which order to go about getting things.....
Old 10-08-2001, 07:50 AM

focus on your signal path first. good mic, good, mic pre, good a/d converter. if you aren't recording many vox or other acoustic things, then maybe it isn't as much of a priority. esp. if you run synth sounds digitally into your system.
for eq and comp plug-ins, McDSP is the best deal period for dsp efficiency and price and sound quality. You pretty much can't go wrong with Waves plug-ins. For reverb, I'd recommend getting an external unit, esp. if run it in digitally- for the same price as a good reverb plug-in, you get much better sound quality and save on much dsp power. you don't get as many features or session recall parameters, but the sound quality really makes up for that. Lexicon MPX 100, 500, ... and TC M1 are good choices. i prefer Lexicon.