Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2023, 11:11 AM

Default Re: 2023.12 is so good THANK YOU

So with this faster loading after initial start up , can we I assume that is only if the computer has not been shut down and PT is simply quit and relaunched ?

But if computer is shut down and restarted, then PT will again do the longer full scan ?

I did not update to 2023.9 but am considering updating to 2023.12

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-14-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
So with this faster loading after initial start up , can we I assume that is only if the computer has not been shut down and PT is simply quit and relaunched ?

But if computer is shut down and restarted, then PT will again do the longer full scan ?

I did not update to 2023.9 but am considering updating to 2023.12
Here's what I've discovered today. If you open a session, then close, then reopen that same session, withOUT closing PT, that session will open VERY quickly the 2nd time and each subsequent time. If you happen to close and reopen PT itself, it will still load that session quickly but not as quickly as before.

After restarting the Mac, that same session appeared to take a little longer than either scenario above, however still much faster than the very first time I opened that session the first time in 2023.12.

So that's similar to the way PT has responded for years. What's different is that there's now a "fastest" scenario -- ridiculously quick -- which only occurs if you leave PT open.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Here's what I've discovered today. If you open a session, then close, then reopen that same session, withOUT closing PT, that session will open VERY quickly the 2nd time and each subsequent time. If you happen to close and reopen PT itself, it will still load that session quickly but not as quickly as before.

After restarting the Mac, that same session appeared to take a little longer than either scenario above, however still much faster than the very first time I opened that session the first time in 2023.12.

So that's similar to the way PT has responded for years. What's different is that there's now a "fastest" scenario -- ridiculously quick -- which only occurs if you leave PT open.
Ah ok , hey thanks for the reply

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-14-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
It's been this way for many years, accounting for the quick load time of PT. Logic and other DAWs operate similarly. If it didn't operate this way, opening PT would indeed be a hassle EVERY time.
For me it has not been that way for many years. It has been a hassle indeed. Maybe you’ve been very lucky all this time, but this improvement was mentioned in the “what’s new” notes so they definitely made a change that’s having a big impact on my system (a very fast pc).
Old 12-14-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
For me it has not been that way for many years. It has been a hassle indeed. Maybe you’ve been very lucky all this time, but this improvement was mentioned in the “what’s new” notes so they definitely made a change that’s having a big impact on my system (a very fast pc).
Plugin caching was introduced many years ago, so it's not new. You should have seen how sessions loaded prior to that. *Each* load of large session took forever. What is new is how they're handling plugin caching today, which is clearly different, as What's New states, as you're experiencing, and as everyone is experiencing.

But see my post above. The quickness is at it's most impressive when PT stays open. Restart the computer, or even restart PT, and load times are set back a bit. Still very fast -- no complaints here -- but I wish it could be that fast each and every time.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:11 AM

Now I see you're correct. When I restart the computer it goes back to loading slow (over 2 mins). Then every launch after that is 26 seconds. That's a bit disappointing. Like you said, I wish it would keep doing the fast loads until I add new plugins.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:43 AM

So finally got to install the new version of ProTools 2023.12 yesterday.
I like all of the little things. I was having no issues with 2023.9, but this is a nice update and I am just getting to mess around with the color panels in IO and bussing, which is very nice for my workflow on organizing and visual cues in the session. I have yet to mess with the integrated Dolby Renderer, but will after I finish a few weeks of work, but maybe play a bit with it this weekend.
I have no issue running the external Dolby Renderer, because I have the TB3 option card in my studio and the Avid MTRX II, so I have been free of the Dolby Audio Bridge for a few months. I do like how they organized the integrated Dolby Renderer and very easy to navigate from what I am seeing.
Nice work AVID! It will also give people new and not as experienced a better change to get into that type of workflow now, which will be helpful to everyone.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-15-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Now I see you're correct. When I restart the computer it goes back to loading slow (over 2 mins). Then every launch after that is 26 seconds. That's a bit disappointing. Like you said, I wish it would keep doing the fast loads until I add new plugins.
You need to separate Pro Tools startup time which includes loading plugins from session open time, which has nothing to do with loading plugins.

It is unclear what you are doing, if Pro Tools is already open and you open a session then the plugin load time is 0, if you exit Pro Tools and restart it then the plugin files and the plugin cache file/index (it is more an index than a cache) are likely already in memory and don't need to be reread from disk. A cold start after reboot may be especially slow if you the plugins are on a HDD. Other potential sources of issues are anti-virus software or the plugin cache/index file becoming corrupted, potentially by a bad plugin.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:41 AM

Also, another happy user on this update. So far, I haven't had a single crash and I have had at least 3-5 a day in prior versions. I might be imagining this, but everything just feels so much snappier and smoother for me with this update.

I couldn't even use 2023.9 because of the Delay compensation getting out of wack on folder tracks every time you rendered something. But that now seems to be fixed.

I also think they fixed a bug where rendering a multi-output instrument and telling the original tracks to hide would always crash on me. So far it isn't crashing.

There are still a lot of old bugs I'd love to see eventually squashed, but this version is a huge improvement for me in just stability and performance. I haven't even really had a chance to explore the new features beyond the new marker lanes.

Thank you!!!
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 12-15-2023, 11:57 AM

opps lost the images
I'll repost

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-15-2023 at 01:57 PM.