https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2677187&postcount=7

cMP 2 x 3,46, 128GB Ram
Monterey 12.7.4
Metric Halo 3d 2882 I/O
Lucid 88192 with Blue Sky 5.1 monitoring
10gbE ethernet with True Nas storage
Old 11-16-2023, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Instrument tracks frequently not working on 2023.6

I am having the same issues with Native Instruments, Spitfire, Initial Audio, U-he, Toontracks and Plugin Alliance to name a few which demonstrates that this is not a 3rd party problem.

VI instruments randomly don’t play or stop playing or get stuck on a note. This happens so often that is practically impossible to get any work done.

The only way to stop hanging midi notes is to disable the plugin and reenable. When if ever will the All Midi Notes Off command work?

AVID exactly how does this stuff make it through beta testing for years?

7,1 2019 Mac Pro Running OS Ventura 13.6 / 16 Core 3.2G / 384G Ram, 2TB NVMe System, Session and Library drives. PT 2023.9 / HDX1 / HD i/o / UAD Octo Card.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:12 AM

I saw this thread has been revived and wanted to report some findings back.

I've changed my playback settings for tracking / production settings to be 64 buffer, and also clicking "ignore errors during playback / record" . This has pretty much made the problem go away for me.

Over several months, I can say that I haven't printed a single click / pop into audio recordings despite the warnings otherwise. It just seems to make 6101 errors go away, and in turn make this problem go away. Working with VI's is much more seamless now.

What does happen is that occasionally when opening a large session, the audio playback will be quite spectacularly garbled upon first play. Simply go into playback settings, toggle the "ignore errors" off and on, and it goes away. This problem has never occurred mid-recording. Only immediately after loading a session. It's maybe once a day if that, so I think I can live with that.

When mixing, I just go to max buffer and disable "ignore errors". Both issues disappear in that configuration.

Hope this info helps others.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:06 AM

We are mainly talking about Instrument tracks losing their MIDI channel assignments and therefore not playing back anything. Happens more often if you duplicate an Instrument track.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
We are mainly talking about Instrument tracks losing their MIDI channel assignments and therefore not playing back anything. Happens more often if you duplicate an Instrument track.
To clarify, in my original post I am describing a situation where VI's do not play back despite channel assignments being all correct.

But you are right, this is a common occurrence for years now and also an annoyance.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:27 AM
Avid

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone encountered this on 2023.9? I wonder if it’s isolated in 2023.6. Anyone has any open support case regarding this? Please. Feel free to reply with your case number so we can have this investigated further.

Thanks!

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 11-16-2023, 12:08 PM

Thanks Tope. This issue has been discussed in likely hundreds of posts across many threads. (you might want to search for those other threads, ask there, or try searching the support database for folks who have reported this). It would be fantastic to collect cases and if there is already a known bug, anything you can do to help.

I suspect it's a bug still in 2023.9 but I was not paying a lot of attention when I've ran into it last (many of us now have a reflex repose to just dealing with this when it happens... and I don't use VIs much but jeez it's hit me).

Thanks SomeOtherGuy and audiogamble for trying to keep this thread on track. There are multiple MIDI/VI related issues, but we are not going to get stuff solved if people keep bundling them all together in a disorganized mess. Can we have a organized mess instead please.

And if "ignore errors during playback/record" indeed helps here, that's kinda surprising but also concerning since having that enabled can introduce track input latency errors.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:43 PM

What operating system are most of you on that are dealing with this problem?

I just upgraded a month ago and I am hardly seeing this any more. But I also reinstalled everything from scratch, so I'm not sure that it is just an upgrade to Ventura that will fix the issue.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-17-2023, 07:44 AM

I can confirm that this is absolutely still a bug on 2023.9 HDX.

Using Native Instruments, Spitfire, Initial Audio, U-he, Toontracks and Plugin Alliance to name a few which demonstrates that this is not a 3rd party problem.

And if this is not the correct thread to post this in then someone please advise as to the exact correct thread or process.

I am also working on a completely clean installed from the ground up system. With every piece of software downloaded and installed from the manufacture's websites end of October 2023. No old VI installs, no old Pro Tools installs, no old sample library installs. etc. etc.

64 H/W buffer size may oddly sometimes help but it is not a fix. With some VI instruments I have to increase to 256 to play it on input and not get crazy dropouts and distortion which was never the case for me in the past.

My problems list includes:
-All midi notes off command still not working after how many years?
-Instruments not reliably playing back. Or fail to play at all. After a number of attempts to start playback all or some will magically work.
-Hanging midi notes.
-Midi editing is flaky. Some notes will not let you edit them or select them while others will.
-Quantize window strength amount sometimes does not change actual quantize amount when quantize is applied to notes or a track. Then other times it works.

I did make a large jump from PT12HD native to this latest HDX release but never saw any of these particular problems with that older system. Which was theoretically half of the processing power. and archaic by today's standards but it worked reliably.

7,1 2019 Mac Pro Running OS Ventura 13.6 / 16 Core 3.2G / 384G Ram, 2TB NVMe System, Session and Library drives. PT 2023.9 / HDX1 / HD i/o / UAD Octo Card.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:34 PM

I have been on the verge of pulling the trigger on an Mac Studio M2 Max for a while now, but reading posts like this just scares the crap out of me, and I can't bring myself to do it. I'm running PT 2021.6 on a 5,1 2009 8-Core Cheesegrater with HDX and UAD Octo and it is super solid and reliable. I'm excited to have WAY more processing power. But if it means having all these maddening MIDI glitches, not to mention the graphics problems I was reading about in another thread, and who know what else, it's simply not worth it. Ugh...

Why does Avid seem completely unable to release a version of Pro Tools that doesn't introduce new terrible bugs, while also not resolving previous terrible bugs that have been there for years...??