Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Avid

Default Re: I'm tired of the Zoom Bug. Please post request for Digi to prioritize this bug fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morris View Post
It's happening here about 3 times every 12 hours or so. Using PT 9.03 on a a brand new HD3Accel with 3 HD IO's. Always with a track armed and zooming in. Screen starts to redraw and then presents the Spinning Ball of Death. Sometimes the last take has to be reconstructed by importing the last audio files if the crash happened before a save was done.
BTW -- the web site sucks for finding files and update and downloading them. Just sayin'.......

Jim Morris
Morrisound Recording
Tampa, FL
Thank you for this info - I've added it to the record for this problem and we'll have our testing department try to reproduce it.

The problem, so far, has been getting an easily reproducible session or scenario - we've had in-house testing on this for weeks at a time with no reliable results. Engineering has looked at it, but can't find the source of the issue without the repro case so that's what we're looking into now.

We had thought that engineering had caught the problem and put in a fix with one of the 9.0.x 'dot' releases, but that appears to not be the case in all scenarios.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:46 PM

Default Re: I'm tired of the Zoom Bug. Please post request for Digi to prioritize this bug fi

i definitely have sessions where this is rampant. when i find which ones is there a way to send to you??

btw- anyone else happen to use templates regularly when this happens? i had a template i swear did it every time... one i created in 8.x but still use. (no audio files, just plugins and some auxes pre-set)
Old 07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSstudio View Post
i definitely have sessions where this is rampant. when i find which ones is there a way to send to you??

btw- anyone else happen to use templates regularly when this happens? i had a template i swear did it every time... one i created in 8.x but still use. (no audio files, just plugins and some auxes pre-set)
We've seen problems with using old templates - what happens if you recreate that template in Pro Tools 9? Do you still experience the same problems?
Old 11-12-2011, 03:29 AM

Still rampant on my HD2 9.05 rig... Also my Friend's studio with HD6 and expansion IO as well... still toast on the zoom, even with new sessions
Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 PM

Honestly it seems to be the Speed at how fast you zoom.... seems to happen once I get down to the "sample" level where you can redraw waveforms. I work EXTREMELY fast, and if I go "Apple key, +++++ 5 times really fast (to zoom in) it happens.

INstant pinwheel, need to force quit, then can't reopen protools unless I want mac gray screen of death. So Full restart it is EVERY TIME. I've learned to not zoom so fast, but sometimes I forget.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post
Honestly it seems to be the Speed at how fast you zoom.... seems to happen once I get down to the "sample" level where you can redraw waveforms. I work EXTREMELY fast, and if I go "Apple key, +++++ 5 times really fast (to zoom in) it happens.

INstant pinwheel, need to force quit, then can't reopen protools unless I want mac gray screen of death. So Full restart it is EVERY TIME. I've learned to not zoom so fast, but sometimes I forget.
This is exactly what I found.. in PT9 I don't use templates
Old 11-15-2011, 06:33 AM

It happens to me very rarely, but is part of Pro Tools 8.
8.1.1 is better.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:16 AM

Hi,

I've been using the same templates from version 8 and only updating it and modifying them. and i have never seen this bug (Yet)

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 AM

I've had this more than a few times and it seems to be a semi-specific set of circumstances when it occurs. For one, if you are opening sessions that have to have their waveforms recalculated and redrawn. (thus changing the modified date on ALL audio files which is super annoying for file management in sessions that are spanned over many months. The sections of audio files recorded on X day vs Y day is very useful.. anyway..)

Add to that the place you are zooming in on. Does it happen to have a large series of edits and/or fades?

I feel like its a disk-thruput (cache?) issue, cuz I can hear my drive next to me crunching along, in sync with the zooms. And something get hung up as the GUI tries to reflect the disk data, and.... stalemate. The disk chokes up, is not reading/writing, and its a full freeze. Sometimes I can FQ, but the PT app never goes away.

At least thats my case. Might not be related as I feel like I know when its gonna happen. And I can do a cleanup and double check any system prefs as silly as " allow disks to sleep ". I trash the volumes folders, dae prefs, and run Disk Warrior just cuz why not clean up the directory?

And I don't see it for a few weeks. Been over a month now.

Are you guys getting this on newly created sessions, few edits/fades, and no " unique " plugs like VI screens left open such as Stutter Edit? (that one always gave me GUI SWODs when zooming.

If its a completely random thing for most of you, old/new, big/small sessions then its def a DTS puzzle to work out. But if you happen to notice any patterns, esp when you re-open the session and dont zoom , but go to the area you were and see whats happening there. Or maybe a common plugin in these sessions?

Final last ditch effort is to create a New Admin User and run some tests off of that account. Go zoom crazy- Does a fresh user Lib and all that make a difference? Or, Save session copy? Just shooting out ideas. Hope it gets figured out.

Good luck!
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 11-15-2011, 05:20 PM

I still get this alot. Its when a few tracks are armed and you zoom in real fast with the R and T keys. Its almost like the waveforms can't draw fast enough and it chokes. Been seeing this on every version of 8 and in 9. Very annoying. Trashing prefs and every other method will not fix this. I have done complete new installs down to the OS and it is still around.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.