Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2011, 07:02 AM

Question Recording Vocals

How do I set up reverb effects so that the singer can hear it but it does not get recorded in the vocals?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Recording Vocals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquay View Post
How do I set up reverb effects so that the singer can hear it but it does not get recorded in the vocals?
This is def a RTFM topic, but I realized its actually not easy to record a track with the reverb recorded without multiple bussing...

Anyhow, best method is to create an AUX track. Put Reverb Plugin on that. Chose a bus or stereo bus as an input. Then on your vocal track(s) open a send with the same bus number.

The send will route the audio to the Aux being by that bus and voila reverb for all with only one plug.
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Keep in mind that if you're using low latency monitoring (I see you have a 002) then plugins are bypassed, so the aux thing won't work.

But if you don't use low latency monitoring, and instead make sure your buffer is set at 64, then you should be fine.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:08 AM

buy PT HD
Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 AM

hey wondering if anyone can help..... Recorded a session 48k 24bit using 003 and adat. dumb thing... adat was set to 44.1 and used as master clock via optical. On playback everything sounds fine but when bounced to disk the result is in the wrong pitch.? AGHHHHHH.......

Any ideas?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
This is the normal behavior. Plugs don't get recorded unless you assign the output of the plug and track you are recording to another audio track.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian barnett View Post
hey wondering if anyone can help..... Recorded a session 48k 24bit using 003 and adat. dumb thing... adat was set to 44.1 and used as master clock via optical. On playback everything sounds fine but when bounced to disk the result is in the wrong pitch.? AGHHHHHH.......

Any ideas?
This an experience you share with many. The solution, I won't do a ste-by-step, but it is to create a new session with the sample rate that the clock was set to and import the files there. You'll get a warning that the sample rate doesn't match but you just proceed. Basically the files are "stamped" 48, but are really 44.1. IHTH.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 AM

OOps! I know this... been spending time with notes on Sibelieus 'individually' (meaning no auxing on Pro-tools) lately, and lost touch with the ins and out of recording on PT. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Just an FYI, Verbs and delays mask the singers intonation problems. Most session singers will specifically request no reverb or effects in their headphones when recording because it skews their sense of pitch and makes it harder for them to intonate to the track and to the other vocals (if doing BG Vocals).

I never let singers record with reverb on their voices. Most of them hate it at first... but then later on prefer the results as there is usually less autotune/pitch correction needed. If the singer can make it sound good without verb and delay, it will sound killer when you finally add verb and delay.

Anyway, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to this sort of thing. But when I'm recording guys like Dorian Holley, Javier Colón, and David Hollister, they never want verb or delay in the cans.

If you've never tried it before, give it a shot. It can sometimes be a humbling experience for people who have never done it before, because every little intonation problem is much more noticeable. But that's good because then you can work on them and punch in to fix them. It makes it sound a lot better in the final mix when you finally do put verb on it...just a suggestion... take it or leave it.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page