Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2004, 11:38 PM

Default Where do I buy used Plugins for OS 9.2?

Hey everyone,
I've searched the net and can't seem to find anywhere to buy used plugins for PT 5.2 on OS 9.2 Anyone have any for sale or know of a place to look?
Thanks,
Graham
Old 01-29-2004, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Where do I buy used Plugins for OS 9.2?

You cannot legally buy used plugins. When you purchase a plugin, what you really purchae is a songle license to use the plugin, called and end user license. You do not own the plugin, only the right to use it. It is illegal to sell the discs, or copies of them. Otherwise we'd all buy used plugins.

The short words for it are software piracy.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:19 AM

There are many companies that allow the sale of plug-ins and transfer of ownership. I have done it myself with Wavemechanics, now Soundtoys. I think McDSP allows it as well. The only limitation is the Digi promo bundles that I'm aware of.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:44 AM

You can purchase used plug-ins, and these often show up on Ebay...You should be very careful about what you purchase and from whom!!

Just the other day we had a buyer of an ebay plug pissed at us because the pace card was empty. Though we don’t know for sure the probably cause is that the seller loaded the software onto their iLok, then sold the used card. For some reason the buyer thought that it was our responsibility to fix their transaction with the seller. Last week we also had someone purchase used plugs that were NFR's (NOT FOR RESALE) These are plugs that we give to dealers for free to learn how to use our software. The buyer then felt it was our responsibility to get him up and working...In the end we did, but we start to get grumpy about it...We always do our best (which is often far more than any hardware manufacturer would do) but we can only go so far.

Before you purchase any used software check up on the serial number. It only takes a call, and will save you many problems. IE some users may try to sell their old versions because they have upgraded to the newest version. We track that serial number, and if the new purchaser comes to us wanting to upgrade they are going to be SOL. It isn't always fun to do, but it's the only way we will stay in biz.

Also, if you are transferring a registration we always require a bill of sale signed by the registered owner of the software.

All this said, we have had many of our plug-ins resold with no problems, and we do feel that it is the purchasers right to be able to sell our plugs for any reason.

Have a good one,

Noah
(SoundToys)