Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2003, 11:12 AM

Default Digital Distortion @ end of Bounce

I've done a search and found no real answer to this problem.
After bouncing I get this nasty buzz lating about .5 seconds at the end of the file. I've tried selecting a little space after the intended mix area but nothing seems to work. It happens about 3 out of 5 attempts.
Dual 1.25 MMD
MixPlus24 w/ 2 Farm Cards
PT Ver 5.1.3
800 Mgbyts of ram
OWC 120 Firewire

Anyone have any luck fixing this problem. It really sucks having to bounce something down several times with a client in the room...

Thanks
Old 09-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Avid

Default Re: Digital Distortion @ end of Bounce

It sounds like something is getting truncated like a reverb tail, delay, etc.
You may want to try doing a quick fade out on the Master fader right before the end of the bounce.

Mike
Old 09-30-2003, 03:59 PM

I rareley use Delay and in several cases there has been no reverb. It's not that. It is this extremely loud buzz / distortion noise. The Problem is I regularly have to bounce mp3 to send of for client approval and doing everything three times sucks. I never had this problem untill moving up to 5.1.3.....
Old 09-30-2003, 04:21 PM

Try trashing prefs and rebuilding your desktop. What drives is your audio playing back from? Do you have an ethernet connection/cable/dsl? If so, you may try disabling your Apple Enet extensions (or any extensions that aren't part of the Mac base set plus the Digidesign extensions).
Old 09-30-2003, 05:04 PM

Launch the DAE application. When it is done launching, choose Set Playback Buffer Size from the File menu. If it is not set to 2 (default), set it to 2, then quit the DAE. I've found that having this set to something greater than 2 will cause this problem.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:04 PM

I had exactly that problem on a digi 001 a few years back.... horrible noise

if I remember correctly it only did it when I bounced to aiff (which was all the time). If I bounced to quicktime it was ok.

Or course, this means you have to export an aif or mp3 out of quicktime making it a 2 step work around. Total pain I recall. Glad those days are over.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:21 AM

I've had this problem randomly in TDM as well as 001. Never did find an exact 'cause, especially since one system is mac and the other is pc. Sometimes if you move the area you've selected to bounce, that would solve it ... but ... sometimes not.

The quickest workaround I've found is ...

Bounce to disk (sdii, wav, aif), dual mono, and import the files to the same session and create a track for them. Cut off the sh*t at the end then export the files (command shift k) to whatever format you need. The export isn't in real time so it's pretty quick.

I don't know, what d'you think?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:58 AM

Perhaps this is related...

I have definitely had problems with short clicks at the very end of .aif files when exporting from SDII. But not a full half second - usually just a few samples at full amplitude. This happened just two days ago. I was exporting from SDII 44.1kHz to 48kHz .aif. I repeated the export and it happened again. Both on 5.1.1 and 5.1.3

Are the noises you're hearing only on .aif file bounces by chance?

-Noel
Old 10-01-2003, 09:58 AM

Well, I'm guessing that this is related... I tried to do as CheifTechnician said but when I try and launch DAE by itself I get an error 3 message. I'm currently giving the DAE am max of 150 megs of ram. I've trashed the prefs and even replaced the digi-init. I can launch protools and I adjusted the DAE that way down to the 2 buffer setting and did a few test bounces which seemed to correct the buzz problem. Any ideas on the error 3 message.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:37 PM

Another fun workaround we've found to the "Mystery Hash", as we call it is to create a master aux send instead of a master fader and bus that master aux to an available audio track (provided you have some left over). This allows you to basically record your whole session back into a stereo track and eliminate the need for bouncing all together. From here, you can export as necessary.

Go Giants!