How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2023, 12:42 PM

Default Setup IO Headphoned

Good evening,

I recently add Pro Tools to my DAWS and have an issue setting up the audio to monitor with the headset. I go to setup I/O and just shows the computer speakers but no the headphones. What do I have to do?

Thank you,

Andres Augusto.
Old 09-28-2023, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Setup IO Headphoned

Too little information for anyone to offer real help. What computer? Do you have an interface? If its just the computer, plug your headphones in to the speaker out(which usually is fine for either speakers or headphones). In any case, if you do not have a dedicated audio interface, I strongly recommend getting one. For the simplest setup(and lowest expense), the Focusrite SOLO is probably the best option

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-28-2023, 01:01 PM

Hi Welcome to DUC

Might need a little more info here, what interface are you using?

If you are just using the built-in speakers in your Mac then macOS is helping mess this up. It will dynamically add the headphones devices when you connect headphones to the Mac. Very annoying how that does not interact well with Pro Tools and many other audio apps. See http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411386 (now that Pro Tools on Mac supports Aux I/O you can use that to do the same as using third party routing software like Rogue Amoeba Loopback I mention in that thread).

If that is not the problem tell us what exact interface you are using, what exact headphones you have (are they USB headphones?) and where exactly things are plugged in.

And overriding all this is it's worth understanding what Setup>IO>{input, output, bus} are about.. they are just adding convenient names for the user, all that actually matters in input and output is the I/O ordering in an interface, you can edit those entries in Setup>IO>{input, output, bus} and name any input or output anything you want. They are just labels for your convenience. If the default labels are not showing up you can try clicking on the [Default] button on each page. Sometimes selecting existing labels/paths and deleting them first can clean up a mess. The Default entries come from the device driver through CoreAudio, and it's unusual for that to be wrong, but it's possible

---

Oh Barcelona, the beaches, the food, the culture, the beaches, ... When I worked for Adobe Europe I used to love visiting the office there, right on the beach. My son recently got back from his first trip to Europe (London before does not count), he loved Barcelona and Madrid. My sympathy about the number of tourists you face in Barcelona.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:44 PM

and if he's using Airpods, they will disconnect and be disabled as an audio engine every time he takes them out of his ears.
sheer guesswork of course, since we have such little information.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:55 AM

Thank you for your fast awensers and support.
There isn't much of a set up. I am working with a MacBook Pro M1, Pro Tools Artist and the regular headphones jack. I use the USB c to connect a Komplete Kontrol keys and when play it it sounds on the computer speakers even when the headphones are connected to the jack in.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:57 AM

By the way, Darryl Ramm, Barcelona is tourist crazy...
Old 09-29-2023, 02:04 PM

As Darryl points out - PT may not see your headphones unless they're plugged in before you launch it. So try that - quit ProTools, plug in your phones, launch PT, then check the playback engine for the "external headphones" option. Works for me.
TB Native + Omni at home
Apogee Duet 3 on the road
Old 09-29-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresAugusto View Post
By the way, Darryl Ramm, Barcelona is tourist crazy...
Oh I know every time I was there on business during summer.... I warned my son. They still had a great time in Barcelona. Did I mention the beaches? For a contrast they rented a B&B in Madrid away from tourist areas and many of the group speak fluent Spanish and they all liked being away from the tourist crowds and hanging out with the locals.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
As Darryl points out - PT may not see your headphones unless they're plugged in before you launch it. So try that - quit ProTools, plug in your phones, launch PT, then check the playback engine for the "external headphones" option. Works for me.
Right, (and you might have to click the Refresh button on the Setup>IO>{output, bus} pages to see the expected labels to appear. Or work thought the other options I gave in that thread linked above, which let you avoid needing to do this, or having things fail if you accidental unplug the headphones while using them (that used to really bug me).
Old 10-02-2023, 06:37 AM

Im having the same issue! And the headphones works without any problem in all the other programs but in Protoolsthere are nowhere to be found! They are not listed in any settings! I have a PC som I use Asio4all and the headphones arnt listed there eather!