Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2023, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Clip FX GUI not responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I've tried it a few more times, and so far ClipFX is behaving.

lesbrunn - maybe 2 things to try. First is plausible, second is nuts.

FIRST - since it could be that my first launch loaded a project already in a strange state and I haven't had it since. try uninstalling PT, then removing the folder

C:/Program Files / Avid / Pro Tools

manually. Then restart, reinstall, restart.

SECOND - this is a very long shot. I noticed over the past week I'd keep highlighting all of the timeline by accident. Sometimes the rename file dialog would come up unprompted. Happened in both versions of PT, was driving me nuts. When I launched something twice in the OS, the penny dropped - my mouse was misbehaving, firing double clicks instead of single. I replaced it and now all is well.

It did occur to me that since then, everything has been behaving properly. It seems a stretch that it could cause the ClipFX to misbehave, but stranger things have happened. I once had a rig where massive CPU-spikes would occur, breaking real time audio, unless A DISC WAS PHYSICALLY IN THE BLU-RAY DRIVE. Bonkers. So thought I'd mention it in the unlikely event that you'd noticed any other behaviour that might be attributable to a misbehaving mouse.
Thanks, noiseboyuk. I've done that a few times, but it always comes back. I actually go as far as also deleting AppData\Roaming\Avid\Pro Tools and AppData\Roaming\Local\Avid whenever I uninstall PT. Mouse-wise, the Kensington trackball hasn't shown any signs of misbehavior as far as I can tell. But there are two other strange things that happen only in PT and no other program.

1. There's a GUI glitch in PT that once in a while causes both windows to flash uncontrollably for 2 or 3 seconds before returning to normal. It doesn't happen in any other program or anywhere else in Windows 11.

2. Some pop-up windows such as the import audio and the import session dialogues don't respond to double clicks. This happens only within PT and nowhere else in Windows, so it's not a mouse thing.

I've checked for viruses; my PC is clean.
Old 06-18-2023, 01:26 AM

Nope, scratch those above, while the CPU spikes do seem to have gone, ClipFX is still buggy after the reinstall and mouse fixes.

Question for lesbrunn - are the sessions where you get this originated on your own rig? Just had the thought that the project I'm on now was tracklayed elsewhere, and they used ClipFX. Just wondering if it could be a compatibility glitch between 2 different rigs.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-18-2023, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Nope, scratch those above, while the CPU spikes do seem to have gone, ClipFX is still buggy after the reinstall and mouse fixes.

Question for lesbrunn - are the sessions where you get this originated on your own rig? Just had the thought that the project I'm on now was tracklayed elsewhere, and they used ClipFX. Just wondering if it could be a compatibility glitch between 2 different rigs.
Yes, this is a session I started, though it contains a bunch of imported wav files that were recorded elsewhere.
Old 06-18-2023, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Yes, this is a session I started, though it contains a bunch of imported wav files that were recorded elsewhere.
Hmm, unlikely to be that then.

Grasping at straws really. If this was a widespread problem we'd know about it.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-18-2023, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Hmm, unlikely to be that then.

Grasping at straws really. If this was a widespread problem we'd know about it.
It's an extremely annoying bug, especially now that I need to fix some very uneven frequencies in lead vocals that were not properly recorded. Multiband compression doesn't do it smoothly enough. I suppose I could automate Pro Q3, but that could be tedious given the fact that no two lines seem to be alike frequency-wise. Obviously, there were drop-ins almost on a per-phrase basis and the singer couldn't maintain a consistent tone.
Do you think this could be plugin-related?
Old 06-18-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Do you think this could be plugin-related?
It seems unlikely to me, but anything’s possible and we’re running out of plausible theories. Graphics card, even?

BTW, the symptoms I get vary a bit. Often the whole ClipFX is greyed out and power states of the modules are off. Other times it all looks normal, but the UI is unresponsive. I’ve found that it does remember what you changed in this locked-in state, and next time I launch the EQ is all over the place from my blind fumbling.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-18-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
It seems unlikely to me, but anything’s possible and we’re running out of plausible theories. Graphics card, even?

BTW, the symptoms I get vary a bit. Often the whole ClipFX is greyed out and power states of the modules are off. Other times it all looks normal, but the UI is unresponsive. I’ve found that it does remember what you changed in this locked-in state, and next time I launch the EQ is all over the place from my blind fumbling.
Exactly the same symptoms here. Also, because of the other UI glitches I see from time to time, I was suspecting graphics drivers, but I'm not using a dedicated graphics card. I use the onboard processor graphics, which has served me very well for the past year or so. The drivers are up to date.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:38 AM

Not sure if the solution provided in comments #11 & #13 of a related thread will work for you guys but it seems to have solved some other related clip fx issues for a couple people.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=423215&page=2

Can't say I've experienced it here since I rolled back to 2022.7 for other reasons.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 06-19-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
Not sure if the solution provided in comments #11 & #13 of a related thread will work for you guys but it seems to have solved some other related clip fx issues.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=423215&page=2

Can't say I've experienced it here since I rolled back to 2022.7 for other reasons.
Thanks, take77. I can see I posted in that thread (long before I had this issue). Melodyne is already active here, so that's not going to work for me. Obviously, something has changed in my system since then to cause the ClipFX issue. It's difficult to tell because many things have changed.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:43 AM

Thank you Take77 - this post from DanPimm caught my eye:

Quote:
It wasn't Melodyne but the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle that I activated to my iLok cloud, and it fixed the clip effects lag.
My bundle expired end of March, when 2023.3 was released - and this is when my issues started.

Lesbrunn, do you have lapsed support that co-insides with your symptoms by any chance?

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM