How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2023, 12:31 AM

Default Clip FX GUI not responding

Hey guys,
For some time now I've been getting unexpected behavior from the clip effects UI. It doesn't react to mouse clicks and doesn't change the EQ view from clip to clip. It just locks up. The first time this happened, trashing prefs solved it but now it's just locked. This doesn't happen each time I open PT. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution other than reinstalling PT?
Old 06-16-2023, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Clip FX GUI not responding

Yup, I have this. A restart almost always fixes it. It started in 2023.3.

It's not the only problem I've had - CPU spikes are a PITA. I've tried to re-install 2022.12, but there's licensing issues on install that I cannot fix, and my support plan has expired. Only 2023.3 launches correctly. Mid-project, I just have to live with it.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-16-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Yup, I have this. A restart almost always fixes it. It started in 2023.3.

It's not the only problem I've had - CPU spikes are a PITA. I've tried to re-install 2022.12, but there's licensing issues on install that I cannot fix, and my support plan has expired. Only 2023.3 launches correctly. Mid-project, I just have to live with it.
Good to know it's not only me. But it couldn't have started in 23.3. It's got to be something else, because I'm still using 22.12. What kind of licensing issue do you have with 22.12?
Old 06-16-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Good to know it's not only me. But it couldn't have started in 23.3. It's got to be something else, because I'm still using 22.12. What kind of licensing issue do you have with 22.12?
Hmm - sounds like we have messed up installs.

I have a permanent Ultimate license on the physical iLok. When I tried to roll back to 22.12, it wouldn't launch, telling me "Pro Tools Studio subscription could not be loaded". Never got it to work, but re-installing 23.3 made that work (thread here - https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=424519 )

Previously, 22.12 was absolutely rock solid for me, all my issues have been after installing 23.3. I'm at the end of my tether with this install - the CPU and Clip FX nonsense is driving me insane (all my old issues came back over the following days after I re-installed 23.3). I've vowed to get it fixed over the weekend, come what may. I'm not quite sure what else to try mind you, as I did clean installs last time including prefs, with restarts between every uninstall / install. Daryll Ramm speculated that it might be some combination of precise install / uninstall procedure, but I can't do that any more cleanly than I have - I restart between EVERY step.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-16-2023, 11:17 AM

FWIW, more than once in recent times, I have had licensing issues and running Synchronize) on all iLoks has solved that each time

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-16-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
FWIW, more than once in recent times, I have had licensing issues and running Synchronize) on all iLoks has solved that each time
Sadly not for me. I have the same issues after uninstalling 22.3 / installing 22.2, and then synchronizing my iLok licenses.

I'll stop posting on this thread though, as it's all in this one - https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=424519

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-17-2023, 12:48 AM

I have got 22.12 back and running (see other thread how), but sadly the ClipFX bug is still manifest. Yet this didn't happen before I installed 23.3.

A complete mystery.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-17-2023, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I have got 22.12 back and running (see other thread how), but sadly the ClipFX bug is still manifest. Yet this didn't happen before I installed 23.3.

A complete mystery.
Yes. I did mention that it's happening to me in 22.12, but I only started getting it a couple of months ago, and I've used 22.12 since December 22. I'm beginning to wonder if it's plugin-related, but I don't have the time now to go through Avid's ridiculous testing process.

Last edited by lesbrunn; 06-17-2023 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnwhitley View Post
In most cases, performing a restart can help resolve the issue you're experiencing. It seems that the problem started occurring with the 2023.3 version of Pro Tools.
It's unfortunate to hear that you've encountered other problems as well, such as CPU spikes. You attempted to reinstall the 2022.12 version, but you encountered licensing issues that you're unable to resolve due to an expired support plan. Currently, the only version that launches correctly for you is 2023.3. In the middle of a project, it can be frustrating to deal with these issues, but it seems like you'll have to manage with the situation for now.
If you're unable to resolve the licensing issues, it might be worth considering renewing your support plan or reaching out to Avid's support team for further assistance. They can provide guidance on how to address the licensing problem and potentially offer solutions for the CPU spikes you're experiencing.
I think you're conflating two people...

The OP experienced the ClipFX bug in 22.12, not 23.3.

I have had the same bug, first manifest in 23.3. I hadn't been able to roll back successfully to 22.12 due to licensing misbehaviour, but I resolved this today by manually deleting a Pro Tools folder after uninstalling 23.3. On my first successful launch on 22.12 I got the ClipFX bug, but haven't had it since.

Restarting PT usually cleared the issue for me, but not always. So far neither of us have any other workaround that helps.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 06-17-2023, 10:09 AM

I've tried it a few more times, and so far ClipFX is behaving.

lesbrunn - maybe 2 things to try. First is plausible, second is nuts.

FIRST - since it could be that my first launch loaded a project already in a strange state and I haven't had it since. try uninstalling PT, then removing the folder

C:/Program Files / Avid / Pro Tools

manually. Then restart, reinstall, restart.

SECOND - this is a very long shot. I noticed over the past week I'd keep highlighting all of the timeline by accident. Sometimes the rename file dialog would come up unprompted. Happened in both versions of PT, was driving me nuts. When I launched something twice in the OS, the penny dropped - my mouse was misbehaving, firing double clicks instead of single. I replaced it and now all is well.

It did occur to me that since then, everything has been behaving properly. It seems a stretch that it could cause the ClipFX to misbehave, but stranger things have happened. I once had a rig where massive CPU-spikes would occur, breaking real time audio, unless A DISC WAS PHYSICALLY IN THE BLU-RAY DRIVE. Bonkers. So thought I'd mention it in the unlikely event that you'd noticed any other behaviour that might be attributable to a misbehaving mouse.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM